Find the answer to your Linux question:
Been using RH9 for a few days and have got a few questions/comments. * No ntfs support built into the kernel. Sigh. * Runs extremely slow, can't even play TuxRacer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Comments about RH9

Been using RH9 for a few days and have got a few questions/comments.

* No ntfs support built into the kernel. Sigh.

* Runs extremely slow, can't even play TuxRacer Celeron 1300, 128Mb, i810 graphics chipset. MDK 9 runs fine. Same speed problems going into KDE as well.

* Can't get progs working that i've untarred and unzipped. For example Alvaro's Messenger - In mdk I just untar, unzip, add a link to the desktop to the amsn file and away I go. Try that in RH9 and nothing happens. Can't use wish or make or anything. Am I missing something?

* Downloaded an updated Gaim rpm cos the installed one doesn't include MSN capabilities. Failed install cos of one missing library. This is after I've done a 140Mb upgrade via up2date. FFS!

* Downloaded and installed both Sun and Blackdown Java XPI files for Mozilla. Java still doesn't work despite both installs telling me they were successful.

* Am I a whingeing git?

Ta :P

flw
    Linux Engineer
    That first question deveres some more exploring. I think others stop because of the NFTS issue. So since many of the OEM XP's (home or pro) are comming NFTS only so unless you have a Partion Magic type of app to change the partition you make to fat32 (even if just for install) you come up with problems right from the start.

Anyone know of another new user friendly distro that supports ntfs out of the box?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Engineer
    Mandrake gives you read access to any ntfs partitions.

I think I'll be re-installing it tonight.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    is the loading of the game slow, or just "jerky" graphics? if jerky graphics, check in your XF86Config file that you are using a proper driver for your card, and not a generic VESA driver.

Jason

Linux Engineer
    Tis jerky. But even on the bluecurve desktop it may take 6 or 7 seconds for a window to slowly 'disappear' if I'm running Oo at the same time.

i have never ran into the problem of it being slow with redhat 9 and im running it on a celeron 1200, 258Mb laptop. but maybe that extra 128 makes up for it i dont know. i have been able to install and run Alvaro Messenger the same way you explained and it worked great. and my Gaim has msn capiblities and i didnt touch it i jst loaded the plug-in for msn and yahoo and it worked fine.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    i have never ran into the problem of it being slow with redhat 9 and im running it on a celeron 1200, 258Mb laptop. but maybe that extra 128 makes up for it i dont know. i have been able to install and run Alvaro Messenger the same way you explained and it worked great. and my Gaim has msn capiblities and i didnt touch it i jst loaded the plug-in for msn and yahoo and it worked fine.
    Hmm, obviously summat not setup on my installation. Perhaps I should've just got hold of the plu-in for Gaim. Ta for the info though.