Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am running RedHat 8.0, (just installed) logging in as root (or any user) and if I try to change a setting in a preferences dialog it won't save them. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Won't Save Preferences

I am running RedHat 8.0, (just installed) logging in as root (or any user) and if I try to change a setting in a preferences dialog it won't save them. It doesn't give an error or anything, just doesn't save them; when I go back to the preferences program, they're changed back to default.

I think that it might be the program doesn't have the correct permissions to edit the config files, but I don't know this for a fact and I don't know how to fix it.

I use GNOME, but I think it happens on KDE too. It also happens on my other computer as well. I have two Linux boxes, both with RedHat 8.

Just Joined!
    I'm not Just Joined anymore I've had the post for like 3 weeks and no-one's responded

sorry about not responding but i personally dont know what could be the problem. sorry i cant help. maybe someone else will be able to help out on this matter.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn0p
    I'm not Just Joined anymore I've had the post for like 3 weeks and no-one's responded
    Sorry, how much did you say you were paying us to answer your question? - It is possible no-one had the answer, or it's a bug in the software. Everyone here alway's tries to share a bit of knowledge to help someone out if they know what the problem is. On this occaision it's been a bit unfortuntate.

You could try the Redhat mailing list for help with the issue.

Jason

Linux Newbie
    I use RH8 as well, but i use KDE. and i have never had any problem like that, other then when i would log in as one user, and then log in as another. but that is simply because each user is able to set their own preferences for most things with KDE and keep it their own. so i am boggled if that is not the reason.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Just Joined!
    Sorry for being mean, but someone could have said that they didn't know. I mean, I did get tired of checking every other day for four weeks and no reply.

how do you exit the program? I've noticed that xchat don't save my settings unless I exit the nice way by doin a "X-Chat -> Quit"

Maybe thats the prob?

Just Joined!
    Woah sorry for my lag...

I exit the settings dialogs by clicking OK. I assume that's the correct way of doing it

I get a similiar problem, but it happens with my volume. it puts everything to 0 everytime I reboot. Kinda annoys me...
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...

Just Joined!

Re: Won't Save Preferences

Synop

>>
    I think that it might be the program doesn't have the correct permissions to edit the config files, but I don't know this for a fact and I don't know how to fix it.
    >>

You don't specify which preferences dialog, i guess it may be them all (hideous). Your guess at file permissions may well be right. Look into the man pages for 'chmod' 'chown' and 'chgrp'. You may have to give yourself group inclusion for the group designation for any root programs concerned and make sure it's set for r/w. Some group name like 'staff' or 'users'. You can set those using 'linuxconfig'. Also, some programs will want you to create a dot file in your home directory that it can use to hold personal settings, thoug most i know of will create them for you. Check your /etc/X11/app-defaults directory for anything happening there to overide your own choices. Including any other system wide overides. Good candidates there would be /etc/<directory> /usr/share/lib/<directory>

If your using a wm with session management enabled that could also be your problem.

Stuff like that is a pain for sure, some times though, the problem can be so simple it can successfully remain out of view for a long time. Making it not so simple.

I would first look at the permissions possibility, which will involve cmds such as

chown name <path/file_name>
    chgrp name <path/file_name>
    chmod 777 <path/file_name> (for non root programs only ofcourse, 777 is extravegent). Other possibles would be 755, 750, 664 (for files), others.

Basically 4 == read, 2 == write, and 1 == executable, which are just added to gether to allow for that permission. The columns relate to

chmod owner group world <path/file_name>

Hope thats all it turns out to be.

jm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast