Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not really linux related but what the hell I have some RAM which is CL=3, i want to buy a new memory stick, does it have to be the same ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

RAM

Not really linux related but what the hell

I have some RAM which is CL=3, i want to buy a new memory stick, does it have to be the same CL rating as the existing one? They will both be installed

Doesn't have to be, but if one is slower than the other, the memory will probably just default to the slower speed.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

i'm not too sure wether or not it has to be. Cant u just get some CL=3 RAM? Have a nice fast puter
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux User
    More importantly, try to get sticks with chips of the same brand, preferably the PCB of the same make as well. If the latencies are different, worst case scenario is turning off SPD and setting manually to the lowest common denominators. With mix matched brands, the worst case is they refuse to work together, and that's not all that rare.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe