Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
thanx. but before formatting can u please tell me what's happening with mandrake 8.1? i read some tutorials and booting with a graphical interface (aurora) is missing in my case.. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

thanx. but before formatting can u please tell me what's happening with mandrake 8.1?
    i read some tutorials and booting with a graphical interface (aurora) is missing in my case..
    I've also seen some screenshots of mandrake 8.1 and i'm so dissapointed of what i see on my monitor..

you've been very helpful so far.
    please explain me the situation here..

Linux Guru
    Maybe you should try another distribution?

Linux Enthusiast
    First off, what happens is your monitor goes into standby because the GUI tries to set it up outside of it's limits. Try this. `XFree86 -configure` (without the quotes). It will set up a default, kind of cruddy version of a configuration that will at least let you see the default X server. After that do a `telinit 3` which kills the GUI and lets you restart it with your own options. Back up your original configuration with `mv /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config.bak` then `mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.bak` After that put the new configuration in the old ones place with `mv /root/XF86* /etc/X11/XF86Config` Then restart the GUI with `telinit 5`. The commands, if you want to write them down are (case sensative, spelling important)

XFree86 -configure
    telinit 3
    mv /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config.bak
    mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.bak
    mv /root/XF86* /etc/X11/XF86Config
    telinit 5

I hope that helps you.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    ok.i'll try these and then format c: to clear all...
    i suppose i'll install mandrake 9.0 after that.
    hope my 8mb on board vga card to rev up...

thanx a lot
    talk2you soon with new problems!

(i was expecting more when i popped in mandrake 8.1 for my 1st time...)

Linux User
    just so you know, format C will not erase linux at all - you will need to use fdisk - and as I said, win2k or XP - the fdisk with 98 will be unable to read the partition to remove it.

C is one partiton on yur hard drive (/dev/hda1) and linus is another (/dev/hda2) with the swap file being still another... (The numbers may not be right - just an example)
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    hi

im another mandrake 8.1 user!

just raising my hand....
    not many of us about it look slike...

majorwoo?
    how do i use winxp or win2k to reformat the hdd if my cd drive does have a boot option? will win2k or winxp produce startu[p disks to do a partition? win2k's startup disks are 4 disks... (ages to make and run)

what is another partition manager to use on boot with linux to get rid of the partition...?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2