Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, when compared to the other "ready to use" distros?(Like Redhat, Mandrake, Debian, etc.)...you know, basically any distro that you don't build yourself or anything?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

How good is Slackware?

Well, when compared to the other "ready to use" distros?(Like Redhat, Mandrake, Debian, etc.)...you know, basically any distro that you don't build yourself or anything?

Linux Newbie
    It is the same as any other distro. No better, no worse.

Slack is slightly harder to install and configure than the more user friendly distro's but as with all linux distros it has the same kernel and gnu utils.

Linux Guru
    I haven't used Slackware, but I believe that it's quite different in that it's more based on BSD than SysV like most other distros.

Linux User
    im on it now, and find it alot better on resources. faster and compiling doesnt seem to get as many errors. i was on the ever so hand holding Mandrake 9.1 i feel.....free now.

Just Joined!

MANDRAKE KICKS ASS

I like mandrake, its pretty user friendly I highly recommend it for people that like to be geeky but need their hands held. You dont have to download a bunch of **** to get your machine running. I agree that you dont have much control on what gets installed but really, for building custom boxes like servers , you really want tweak it as much as possible. for having fun though. I dont really want to fuc around and download a lot of **** to get my tv tuner running. ya know what i mean?

OH and if running blackbox, man its DA ****!!!!!!!!!!

Linux Engineer
    I would only recommend experienced users to try slackware....its not that "selflearning" as the other dists..
    Regards

Andutt

Linux User
    i was in mandrake for 1 month then went to slack....

Just Joined!
    slack's not so difficult...but it is a little less friendly than RedHat. I haven't used any other distros, so I can't comment there. One noticeable difference between RH and Slack is the boot process. Slack doesn't configure runlevels that same way that RH does. In my opinion, the RH setup is a lot cleaner. Otherwise, no complaints.