Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by sdousley What you can do actually is if u buy a computer with windows on, you can effectively sell Windows back to the shop, they will delete ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Re: The Perfect Home-Brew Computer for Linux

Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    What you can do actually is if u buy a computer with windows on, you can effectively sell Windows back to the shop, they will delete win off the comp and sell the puter a little cheaper
    heh last time i went to do that i had to send it to m$ for the refund...and they gave me greif.

now lets see i spent 247$ amd64 3400+ $80 abit kv8pro mobo found a full tower had a dvdrw had cd temporarrily barrowed some ram from the server(still barrowed after 3 months)got a nvidia ultra 5700 given to me found a 550watt p/s on sale for $35 got another gfx card given to me...on shelf for next puter and snagged a 120gb hdd for 60$ just do your reasearch..research research!
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    Hey- Thanks folks!
    I'm probably going to go with one of my old boxes w/a 450W pwr supply (new) and definitely an AMD Athlon 64- Not sure if I'm going for the 2800+ or a 3000+ or 3200+. I'll have to compare the differences vs cost. I was reading that the 2800 Sempron may be on the way out. It probably doesn't make much difference but all other things remaining the same a more current bios would probably be better.

I am shying away from the barebones since they all seem to limit their PCI slots and/or their power supplies. The Shuttle looks good except you are faced with a proprietary MOBO if you want it to fit your box.

I'm intrigued by the SCSI HDs but WOW! the cost! SATA looks attractive and looks like a RAID (for redundancy) setup might not be a bad idea. I guess a good plan would be to get at least one extra HD for when one of the initial drives fail. It's my understanding that the drives must be pretty much exact duplicates to work in a RAID environment.

Cooling the processor seems to be a priority and I see some pretty sophisticated devices out there to do that. It looks like to me the higher end the processor the hotter it cooks. Is there a life-span curve here? Would I be better off moving down the performance scale to buy some longevity? As I said, I'm not into gaming but do get into photo management, fractal art, some music and various other graphic stuff.

Once again-
    Thanks everybody for the info and hope you can add some more. When I put this thing together I will report back!

Re: The Perfect Home-Brew Computer for Linux

Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    What you can do actually is if u buy a computer with windows on, you can effectively sell Windows back to the shop, they will delete win off the comp and sell the puter a little cheaper
    heh last time i went to do that i had to send it to m$ for the refund...and they gave me greif.
    I didn't say it was easy I just said that you could. Did you eventually get your computer back windowsless? and the refund?

I have never actually bought a computer from a shop tho, so i haven't ever had that problem. I just tell em not to stick windows on there now if i get them to build it, but more than likely, i will be beuilding any new pc i get now.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3