Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all im new to the fabulous world of linux. Im already familiar with the installation but im wodering which linux to get. Should i get Mandrake, Suse, Redhat or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake,Suse,RedHat or Fedora. Which one?

Hi all im new to the fabulous world of linux. Im already familiar with the installation but im wodering which linux to get. Should i get Mandrake, Suse, Redhat or Fedora. I also want to dual boot it with XP. Which one is best for a newbie and compatible with an XP dual boot?

Thanks,

Just Joined!
    Hm, take Slackware, and do not regret , the dual boot is not distro dependent, you just have to set up the lilo (lilo stands for Linux LOader, (lee lo)), think slackware is better, for newbies too, if you wanna learn, but you may prefer some other distro that looks like "doors" or something, but I really like Slackware way, you shall look around, try these:

www.gentoo.org
    www.slackware.com
    www.mandriva.com/

And, linuxiso.orgm of course

If you look at lots of distros, you'll choose the best for you thats the beauty, you choose

And, just to remember... Slackware :rock: r0x

Just Joined!
    Err.
    www.linuxiso.org

And almost forgot:

How can someone stop laughing of this!?! Its a dancing banana!

This post has some great advice on choosing distro's, though I wouldn't go for Redhat since, the last free version (9) reached its end of life some time ago.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

Re: Mandrake,Suse,RedHat or Fedora. Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Untitled
    Hi all im new to the fabulous world of linux. Im already familiar with the installation but im wodering which linux to get. Should i get Mandrake, Suse, Redhat or Fedora. I also want to dual boot it with XP. Which one is best for a newbie and compatible with an XP dual boot?

Thanks,
    I'm very comfortable here with a SuSE installation from FTP. I've used Slackware and Gentoo before. Both have been a learningful experience, but SuSE just makes things easier for me. If you like the fancy XP desktop, you'll love the default KDE desktop of SuSE too.

I think Suse and Mandriva are probably the easiest to use distros that I've tried. If you're looking for more of a "jump in and get your feet wet" distro that you HAVE to learn things to use, Slackware, Gentoo, or Debian might be good choices.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    I know that this is an old topic, but this link is still up on google, So ppl will read this,

I prefer Mandriva linux, because:

It's easy to setup and The Internet connection works emigetly.

You can download suse and burn it to a live DVD.

With Mandriva you only need a 800 mb cd to burn it.

If you only have a cd wrighter then you don't need to burn like 6 cd's to get suse working.

keep this in your mind, if you're thinking of getting Visa DON'T!!!
    Why spend alot of money on windows when linux is for free.
    vista= Very Instable System Try Another.

Wright to me if you're a new to mandriva and you need some help