Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
My PC won't boot or anyhitng, I have tried to boot from cds and floppys, still not working. Is the bios corrupt, is there anyway to fix this promblem without ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Dead PC?

My PC won't boot or anyhitng, I have tried to boot from cds and floppys, still not working. Is the bios corrupt, is there anyway to fix this promblem without money

Linux Newbie
    Not boot in what sense? wont it load Linux, wont it turn on?
    If youre getting error messages let us know them

Linux Engineer
    The BIOS is corrupt? Or are confusing it with the boot manager?

If it's the BIOS then you're lost, the motherboard has no use, I think.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Linux Newbie
    Is it beeping or anything? Does anything show up on the screen? Is it getting power (fans turning and such)
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.

Linux Enthusiast
    The error message is cannot boot from media
    It does turn on, I know that the sound card and graphics card are part of the motherboard, but you can you take them out and put them in a different comp?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude500
    I know that the sound card and graphics card are part of the motherboard, but you can you take them out and put them in a different comp?
    Yes you can, unless theyre onboard, i.e not "real" cards but chips bundled into your MoBo

As for the error message, probably its an error with your drives , but dont really know

Linux Enthusiast
    Well I am not sure if they built in the mb, but i'll check

Linux Newbie
    Can you get into the BIOS settings, if so try and change the defaults to make it boot from a CD just incase it is not looking there for a bootable medium

Also if it is the BIOS you might be able to get a replacment chip for it off the net somwhere, i remember my BIOS buggered up once and Gigabyte cleard it and copied a new version on there for me. Try giving the manufacturers and email and see what they say

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude500
    The error message is cannot boot from media
    My first thought is a problem with the boot drive, like someone else suggested. That doesn't sound like a message from a problem with booting the BIOS.

Are you not able to get into the BIOS? Some systems these days try to boot invisibly with no screens or just a splash screen instead of all the boring stuff about connected drives, BIOS version, memory, adapters found, etc. If that's the case with your system, maybe you will see more text if you press F10 or F8 or even Delete within a couple of seconds after power-on. If you can get into the BIOS, or at least see the text messages generated during BIOS boot, the next thing to consider is the boot device and media.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Enthusiast
    Well I can get into the bios, it just that nothing will boot not from cd or floppy or event the harddrive

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast