Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm very new to Linux. I installed redhat linux 8. Now I'm trying to download a file of size 553M. After some part is downloaded I got an message like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help

I'm very new to Linux. I installed redhat linux 8. Now I'm trying to download a file of size 553M. After some part is downloaded I got an message like 'There is not enough room on the disk to save /tmp/rhehju3j.gz. Remove unnecessary files from the disk and try again, or try saving in different location. Can any body suggest how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Linux Guru
    Do you have enough disk space? Check this by running (in a terminal) "df -H" and check the line the ends in only a "/" (usually the first line).

Just Joined!
    Dolda2000,

I don't have diskspace. But I see disk space for other directories.

/dev/hda1 103MB 9.7MB 88MB 10% /boot
    /dev/hda5 24GB 34MB 22GB 1% /home
    none 528MB 0 527MB 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda2 51GB 866MB 47GB 2% /usr
    /dev/hda7 1.1GB 44MB 955MB 5% /var

How can I release some disk space from these directories and allocate to this directory '/'

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Linux Guru
    You can't; they're mounted on different partitions on your hard drive, and partitions are inherently of fixed size.
    Maybe you should try finding out what's taking so much, on the other hand.How comes you decided to put /home on a different partition? Which partition holds your root filesystem and how big is it?
    You're downloading with netscape (or mozilla), right? One problem with netscape is just that it doesn't download directly to the destination directory, but it downloads to /tmp and then moves the file when it's done. I don't know if it's reconfigurable, since it has never been such a big problem for me.