Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Is there a way to install Mandrake 9.1 to a disk that doens't have Windows? For some reason I can't install to other drives. I have 3 harddrives and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake install help

Is there a way to install Mandrake 9.1 to a disk that doens't have Windows? For some reason I can't install to other drives. I have 3 harddrives and I can only select hda. During the installation boot-up, it only detected hda and not my other ones. Maybe it's not possible to install Mandrake to a seperate drive?

Linux Guru
    It's most certainly possible to install any distro to any drives (except if they are on an unsupported extra controller card). Installing on an empty disk is by far the easiest solution anyway.

Just Joined!
    Well, Mandrake won't allow me to select any other drive besides hda. My windows drive in almost full and I don't want to format that drive. Maybe there's a problem with my computer? but Windows detected those drives though.

Has anyone isntalled mandrake on a drive that is not hda? If so, how?

Linux Guru
    Are you sure that you can't just change an "active drive" setting or something. I haven't installed Mandrake lately, so I don't remember just what the partitioner looked like, but isn't there something like that?
    During the installation, press Ctrl+Alt+F2, run the following command and see what it returns:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ^hd.:

Linux User
    Are you sure BIOS is detecting the other 2 drives? When it gives you the partition options, (erase windows, use the whole drive, custom partitioning ect) which one are you selecting? I've never done anything but the custom partitioning, but when you select that you should be able to select whatever hard drive you want through the little tabed menu.

Just Joined!
    Well, the bios, windows xp, knoppix 3.2, and Red HAt 9 can detect all my harddrives. It seems that Mandrake won't let me install it onto any other drives but the first drive. I think Mandrake detected my 2 other drives because when booting I have hda being detected and dma has been disabled. Then after a few other devices, it says something about hdc and hde and some other stuff. Couldn't read fast enough so I wasn't sure. But when selecting drive to install Linux to it won't let me install to my second drive. THe only tab available is the hda tab.

Linux User
    Wow that's really weird. I could see one drive not being supported by Mandrake, but 2? Unless they are the same make and model. http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/hardware.php3 check here to see if your drives are supported.

Linux User
    you sure that you just dont see the tabs on the top to switch between drives?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxface
    you sure that you just dont see the tabs on the top to switch between drives?

Yeah that's wut I meant. I don't see the tabs on the top to switch between drives. All I see is hda; is that normal? Sorry I just got Mandrake today.

Just Joined!
    I selected Custom Partitioning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast