Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Im just trying the 2.6 Kernel and what a change xconfig looks totaly differnt i like it. I think its a bit like the package manager in redhat. I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Kernel-2.6.0-test2

Im just trying the 2.6 Kernel and what a change xconfig looks totaly differnt i like it. I think its a bit like the package manager in redhat. I was just wondering if anyone has used it and what they think i think its called qconf?

Ol man,
    where did you get it from?

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

www.kernel.org its the latest beta. I think they might have use it on the 2.5 kernels im not sure, I userly use make menuconfig so i wouldnt normally notice.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    make xconfig isn't really anything different - it's exactly the same as make xconfig in the 2.5.x series. The reason for this is that the 2.6.0-test2 kernel is still essentially a member of the 2.5.x series.

If you want you can modify the look of the xconfig by passing command-line arguments. I'm pretty certain there's a gtk-widget set config option there too but I haven't used it.

IMHO a really nice feature of the 2.6.0-test2 kernel is that it now removes all those horrible compiler messages that you used to get when you did a make bzImage in the 2.4.x series. Also, once you've done a make menuconfig, all you need to type to build the kernel now is a simple "make". Nice eh?

I still use make dep its habbit But make xconfig is defently differnt, last time i used it was a 2.4.x kernel. And do you sill need to make modules?

Just Joined!
    make dep has been deprecated since the 2.5.x series came out and won't be seen in any stable kernel version beyond 2.6.

is 2.6 really all that much better then 2.4 i guess i havent tryed 2.5 but i will try 2.6 sooner or later. maybe i will this weekend something when i get bored.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    I've been trying to build a kernel from 2.6 beta 5 mm sources.
    I think today I got a compile error, so I haven't yet built one successfully.
    It would be nice if there was a tool to migrate a .config file from existing 2.4 to the 2.6 setup.

isnt there something like "make oldconfig" or something?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Could someone point me in the direction of how to install it properly since it's not a rpm (all I really know) once I've downloaded it?

Thanks for any help,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast