Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Performance on LINUX sucks!

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

1 11.11%
  • no

7 77.78%
  • maybe

1 11.11%
Linux really sucks compared to OSX.....tried running yellowdoglinux (redhat derivative) on a 1gig G4....performance was nasty!!!!!...also tried redhat The only thing going for linux is the GPL license....otherwise its just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Versus OSX

Linux really sucks compared to OSX.....tried running yellowdoglinux (redhat derivative) on a 1gig G4....performance was nasty!!!!!...also tried redhat

The only thing going for linux is the GPL license....otherwise its just another krappy free OS....that has reduced performance unless your an extreme techie nerd and recompile it from scratch for your hardware.

Also on the BSD's the performance out of the box is very fast...even with the default install.

Do not agree Linux is a very powerfull and stable OS. I have had an out of the box debian install running as fast as windows or *BSD (which OSX is based on) machines i have used. So i just dont get your point. Have you tried it on the x86 architecture or only run it on a PPC?

i have run linux on x86 machines my server which is a K6 233 and slackware runs quite fast on it. i was very impressed. i have had Mandrake running KDE and redhat 9 running KDE that ran alittle slow but thats wht you get with a slow computer other then that i have only seen good from linux. so i completely disagree with you neko.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    I had some performance/stability issues under Redhat. Then I switched to Slackware 9 and it has made a huge difference.

Either Redhat was too bloated for my system, or I got a little better at configuring it when I made the switch (Linux isn't quite as forgiving or hand-holding as Windows is when it comes to setup).

BTW, my system is an XP 2100+, 512MB PC2100 DDR, 40GB fluid maxtor, etc etc etc.

~ Slackware rocks! :rock:
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

[off topic] i jst found this out yesterday when looking at the slackware website. but the guy that created slackware 'Patrick J. Volkerding' went to college in the city right across the river from where i live. i was like o my god thats pretty cool[/off topic]

sorry about that but anyway i guess i really can say if linux is better then OSX because i have never owned a mac but i hope to some day.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Linux Newbie
    I have never used a mac machine other then at the campus, and from those experiences, i do not like Mac. so as of now ... i will stick to Linux for my day to day things and use WinXP for my graphics and gaming needs cause sadly, Windows still has a pretty good share in those areas. Mac has just never caught my eye as interesting or worth the money.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

I have an iBook on it's way to me with a clean OSX install on it...I'll let you guys know what I come up with as far as performance vs. whatever distro of linux I put on it later (unless OSX is just so amazing that I don't wanna replace it with linux )
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

i have heard that OSX is really amazing.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

I like the object dock in OSX... In xp I have Yz Dock which is like a PERFECT imitation of it. Is there any program that can do that in linux?
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...