Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was editing a user in Kuser (added a user to 2 groups). When I exited, it gave me an error on not being able to write to 'shadow'. Now, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Root password gone?

I was editing a user in Kuser (added a user to 2 groups). When I exited, it gave me an error on not being able to write to 'shadow'. Now, I can not log on at all (both the user password and root passwords do not work, it gives me an error that the logon failed). The distro is Morphix. I am afraid that I'll have to reinstall
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Guru
    I don't know Morphix, but if you have a CD that you can use to boot to (rescue CD or Live CD), if you edit /etc/passwd to delete the password for root, it may help:
    Code:
    ....before....
    root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
    ....after....
    root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
    If it works like it does in Fedora, next time you login as root, you will not need to provide a password. You should then use the 'passwd' command to reset it.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already reinstalled the sistem. Works OK now. It is not really a loss, as I am just starting to play around with it anyway.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    You could also have added "single" to the kernel options and typed "passwd" there. I think that's even easier than booting from a livecd.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Linux User
    Or you could boot the sistem with Live CD and change the shadow file.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

dew
    Just Joined!

root passwd gone - reply

dear misc

:) :) If you are using LILO then while u boot at the prompt type linux single and press enter. it will give you the # prompt . Then type passwd & enter a new password for root. It will show you all tokens successfully updated & then it will carry on with the boot.
    If you are using grub then when the option to select OS appears, click on e . then select the kernel option & append single at the end of the line. & then press b to boot. It will give you the bash prompt ..Change password with passwd command , if it asks for the old password then reboot ....do the same things only at the end of the line instead of single also add init=/bin/bash & then press b. This time you can change the password with passwd command.
    Then login with the new password. can also delete the user's account & create a new one.

For changing root password you need not re-install linux.

See if it works or not.