Find the answer to your Linux question:
Help! I've lost my Windows FAT, and I don't know where it's gone!!! I might have overwritten the first few kilobytes of the partition with zeros, but it was some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

File Allocation Table Recovery

Help! I've lost my Windows FAT, and I don't know where it's gone!!! I might have overwritten the first few kilobytes of the partition with zeros, but it was some time ago, so I don't remember exactly what it was. When I look at the disk with a hex editor, I see zeros for a while, and then I see data. The partition table is fine, as the disk mounts, as do other partitions on that disk. The other partitions still have their files, but the first partition, in FAT32, displays no files. Is there a freeware/open-source program that anyone knows of that could possibly detect the files and rewrite the allocation table? I'm broke, so I can't really be paying for this.... I know it sounds like the data isn't worth $20 to me, which is true, but it'd be nice to have it back.

Thanks in advance,
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

this is a windows program.... I don't know in your case, but it has helped me with fat 32 partitoins before http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2248-10118664.html
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Newbie
    Meh...that won't really help, considering I can't get to Windows. This is my only computer, and so I can't really put the disk in a different one and try to recover it that way. Thanks anyway, though.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Linux Newbie
    Again, that's a Windows program. It looks like it'll help me recover linux files from windows, but i don't think it works the other way 'round.
    ---sxeraverx---

Linux Engineer
    Found this on google:
    http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...09.2/0709.html

Dunno which platform it runs on, but it sais recover fat32, ntfs, ext2 etc...