Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to sort some backup disks I have. Over time I've tried a lot of different linux distros. On each one I've saved some files and imported ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Software to use for finding duplicate files?

I have been trying to sort some backup disks I have. Over time I've tried a lot of different linux distros. On each one I've saved some files and imported some files from backup, then when I moved on to another distro I backedup the home directories and saved to CD.

Now my problem is, I have a pile of CDs, which have probibly 70 to 80 percent duplicate files, most of which are exact duplicates, yet some no dought have been edited.

So now I might have several copies of the same file with the same name, yet they aren't the same.

My question is, Is there a linux utility which will check these files and tell me which are exact duplicates, regardless of name and date stamp? That would cut a lot out of my sortting work.

Linux Newbie
    Code:
    diff -r <cdroot1> <cdroot2>
    If you just want to compare two files, you can just use
    Code:
    diff <file1> <file2>
    Refer to "man diff" for more options. BTW, it lists the differences between the two files if they are text by default, but you can turn that off and just get it to say which ones are different with the "-q" flag.
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Just Joined!
    Actually, Ideally I'd like to run a program on two directories and make one directory with no doubles even if they have different names.

I don't know, I might be day dreaming, but I'll read the man pages for Diff and see if it'll do what I want, there is several ways I'd like to run that program.

I just spent the whole day sorting about 10 CDs of backups, Most of which was duplicates, yet on every disk there was some files that weren't on any other disk.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

FSlint

Give FSlint a go

Linux Engineer
    Never tried FSlint, but I like DupSeek.