Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a laptop with onboard video. Every time I install any linux distrobution the screen pretty much screws up in a weird way; it kind of looks like a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Display problem

I have a laptop with onboard video. Every time I install any linux distrobution the screen pretty much screws up in a weird way; it kind of looks like a negative picture of what it should be. I can run any live CD version like knoppix with no problems. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Re: Display problem

Quote Originally Posted by dark_flame
    I have a laptop with onboard video. Every time I install any linux distrobution the screen pretty much screws up in a weird way; it kind of looks like a negative picture of what it should be. I can run any live CD version like knoppix with no problems. Does anyone know what the problem is?
    Maybe but first need some info.

Pick ONE distro that is not working and tell us what it is. (hopefully it will be one I use!!).

What vintage is your laptop? What cpu and RAM....?

Do you know how much video memory you have?

Does the distro work fine in text mode?
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Banned
    Mandrake linux is the one I installed. Works fine in text mode, just can't can't boot into the GUI, and I have tried startx. My CPU is a P4 2.80GHz and I have 512megs of RAM. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5160.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    you must configure the xsrever most likely because your video card isnt supported