Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have 2 hardrives on my computer, both of which are 80GB and NTFS. I have Windows XP Professional installed on the first Hardrive and was planning to install Debian ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Crashed Hardrive

I have 2 hardrives on my computer, both of which are 80GB and NTFS. I have Windows XP Professional installed on the first Hardrive and was planning to install Debian Linux on the second Hardrive using the Windows boot-loader. I used a program called Swissknife V3 to convert my NTFS filesystem to FAT32 as I had heard Linux can't read NTFS. After failing to install Linux (kept getting Invalid Argument error when mounting, installing), I reloaded Windows and used Swissknife to reformat my hardrive to FAT32. However, I then got a blue screen saying that Windows was shut down to prevent damage to my computer and when trying to reboot I could not without getting the same error message. After I removed the second Hardrive my computer started working again but I can't find anywhere to uninstall the drivers for my Hardrive that had crashed (Device Manager no longer listed it). How do I fix my second Hardrive?

You could put your second hard drive back in and boot from a live cd (or a linux install disk - pretty much all of them have a partitioning tool) and use the partitioning software there. There really wasn't any need for you to pre-format the drive for a linux install. Unless the drive actually went bad, you should be able to use it.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson