Find the answer to your Linux question:
I"m sorry if this question is posted on the wrong board, but I was unsure where it fit in... anyway, I have 3 computers in my apartment, and 2 cable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Networking w/ 2 Cable Modems & Suse

I"m sorry if this question is posted on the wrong board, but I was unsure where it fit in... anyway, I have 3 computers in my apartment, and 2 cable modems... I would like to have a setup where both cable modems are being used for all of the computers. Either through a system where the two cable modems can combine resources (via software routing on one computer), thereby increasing my overall bandwidth OR a system where the cable modems share responsibilities of downloading files.

Can anyone offer some suggestions of how to set this up and if its possible for a NOVICE (like myself) in Linux to figure out how to do such a task. I would imagine the setup should be one computer with both cable modems plugged into it with an extra nic for a connection to a HUB which connects to the other 2 computers requiring internet.

Thanks all!

Linux Guru
    First of all, what kinds of modems are they? USB or ethernet? And what is your internet setup? Do the modems connect to different ISPs, or do you have some "extra special" setup? What is the IP setup for the modems?

Just Joined!
    I'll try to respond as accruately as I can... with my limited knowledge on a lot of this stuff, I may fail to tell you what you really need to know to help, if that happens, please don't hesitate to inquire further, b/c I'd really like to get this setup working and working right.

They are Com21 modems used on the Charter Pipeline Cable network... Each modem gives a specific IP address to the computer its connected to on the backbone (the modems as far as I know assign a vacant IP to the computer upon boot, I'm pretty sure the modems themselves do not have a static IP address that is used every time).
    They are Ethernet based cable modems. My current setup is a simple one cable modem going to a HUB, which connects the modem to the 3 computers. The 3 computers share the internet through the Hub right now. OF course with the setup I'm looking for, the traffic would all be funnelled through a main PC or "Masquerading Router" I guess. All of which I know little about setting up within Linux, and thus why I'm asking for help on here.

Thanks again for the help, and if you have any further questions for me, send them on here or send me an IM on AIM.

-Chipster

Linux Guru
    I'm fairly sure that it can be done, but I can't immediately say just how. The problem is that you can't just do dumb load balancing, since you will also have to think about that all packets belonging to a certain connection must be routed onto the same modem, for the sake of retaining the same IP address during the connection. I think I've read about it somewhere, though; I'll have to check it up.

I assume that you get the IP addresses via DHCP, right?

Just Joined!
    Yes DHCP is used for gettin the ip addresses.

Thanks again for the help!