Find the answer to your Linux question:
As an 'arabist' (translator from arabic) I have sometimes to read or print arabic texts. I have no problems vieiwing arabic webpages with Mozilla but I can't print them. When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

non-latin characters printing in RedHat9

As an 'arabist' (translator from arabic) I have sometimes to read or print arabic texts. I have no problems vieiwing arabic webpages with Mozilla but I can't print them. When I try, empty squares appear on the paper instead of letters. Has anyone ever tried printing in RedHat non-latin characters(arabic, hebrew, japanese, chinese or whatever else)? And what should I do so that my printer(Canon S100) prints the text and not just empty squares?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Check out the following you may find what your looking for since it doesn't sound like you mozilla issue, it a printer issue (my best guess) see http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...num=Canon-S100

Let us know how this went.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    I tryed many things, including other browsers, using KDE instead of Gnome, changing the printer driver. The only difference has been sometimes I got blank spaces instead of squares. I only succeeded, by changing the driver, from Gimp-print to BJ600 to double the speed of my printer, though Gimp-print is the "recommended driver".
    It seems that printing in arabic will be a third reason why I have to dual boot.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Did you read the url I posted? If so what did it help or not? If not what did it not answer for you?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Yes, and I had all those three drivers in my system. I tried each one of them, found BJC 600 to be the best(for latin text only). I even fiddled with some settings, tried all combinations of settings I could think of, still nothing worked. It might just be that I try something no one ever tried before me, so the driver makers didn't even think some Canon users would ever try printing in arabic. After all there are extremely few home users(if any) using Linux in that part of the world, and institutions make their own drivers for Linux.