Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi!
    I wonder want the E.U will make off it? Also what about Anti trust laws as well? I don't the UK will stop the Friz Chip or TCPA/Palldium. Tony Blair loves the U.S to much to say no! If the Friz and TCPA/Palldium do come without a "turn off" switch- then I won't be using my pc again. What's would be the point of putting the "friz Chip" in cd player?. By the way- the M$ url that I posted say's this at the end- "Complying with all applicable copyright laws is the responsibility of the user. Without limiting the rights under copyright, no part of this document may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise), or for any purpose, without the express written permission of Microsoft Corporation" will I get into trouble for posting that url?

Tattooed

Just Joined!
    Hi!
    Forgot to add- I beat the xbox has a Friz Chip inside.

tattooed

Linux Engineer
    It doesnt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I hear the EU made something similar to the D.M.C.A. around the new millenium, but I don't know what, and I really can't say that I've noticed it.
    By the way of this subject, how is it in your countries? As I'm informed about the Swedish laws, we are permitted to download copyrighted material, the only thing unlawful is to upload it. Do your countries have similar laws?
    And, if you want to read "Right to Read" by Richard Stallman, it's available at http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html.

Just Joined!
    Hi!
    wassy121- if you read this theard- could you pls delete the M$ url that I posted pls?

Cheers
    Tattooed

Palladium

From everything that i've read about Palladium it seems that Palladium will not affect the home user because it will not be on by default. If user does turn it on they will be dissapointed when many of their apps won't run and all that pirated software doesn't work anymore.

Applications will have to be writen to work with Palladium for the technology to succeed and I don't for see any major software companies rewriting their applications to help boost Microsofts monopoly. I do think it will affect open source in the enterprise though, because administrators will have to choose whether or not they are going to enable it at a domain level "that is if they are using windows". If Palladium is on, open source applications like open office may install but they won't run because the application will not be certified for Palladium. Basically windows will look at it as a virus and it will not launch. Open source programs that are free of charge will be hurt the most because in order to be certified with Palladium they must purchase a certificate that will work with Palladium in determining if it is indeed a secure app. Certificates are not free so people will have to pay for them. Nobody will pay for the Palladium version of open office when that can just turn is off and install the free one.

This information is from what i've read and i'm sure subject to change as the technology progresses

Linux Guru
    I think you've got a couple of things wrong. Non-certified applications will run even if palladium is turned on, it's just that only certified applications will gain access to palladium's functions, such as further certification to service providers, etc.
    So basically, you can still run the palladium media player alongside your favorite pirated game.

Further on, I'm very confident that applications will come that are TCPA certified, not least since service providers will write their own software that they of course will want to be certified. Also, I'm not sure whether applications will actually have to be certified explicitly for palladium or if they are certified for TCPA in general.