Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi! What's going to happen to linux when the Friz Chip and TCPA/Palldium comes What does everyone think about it here? I'm very worried about. How anyone can say MS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The Friz Chip and TCPA/Palladium -what's going to happen to

Hi!
    What's going to happen to linux when the Friz Chip and TCPA/Palldium comes What does everyone think about it here? I'm very worried about. How anyone can say MS is good beats me. They are boody evil

Tattooed

Linux Guru
    Don't worry! Such a thing will never be able to work. There are always ways to bypass it. Such a system will be ten thousand times stronger to build than to crack.

Just Joined!
    Hi!
    I really hope so

Tattooed

Linux Guru
    Really, who would ever want to buy a computer with TCPA?

Just Joined!
    Hi!
    Someone who know nothing about computers

Tattooed

Just Joined!
    Amen to that. Many of the PC owners I know will just accept the explanation that it provides security and "is for their own good".

Just Joined!
    Hi!
    Would the Friz Chip and TCPA/Palldium not break "anti trust" laws? Remember what happened when Intel brought out serial number on the processor- people hated that- hopefully people will hate the Friz Chip and TCPA/Palldium as well.

Tattooed

Linux Guru
    There are so many laws surrounding these issues that already break the U.S. consitution. But let's pretend not, since that would indicate that something's wrong with the world.

Just Joined!
    Hi!
    Found this on M$ "Palladium" is an opt-in system.
    (link removed at posters request)
    About half way down the page- it say's

"Palladium" is an opt-in system.

"Palladium" is entirely an opt-in solution; systems will ship with the "Palladium" hardware and software features turned off. The user of the system can choose to simply stay with this default setting, leaving all "Palladium"-related capabilities (hardware and software) disabled.

Turning "Palladium" completely off includes turning it off in hardware, which prevents any software from turning it back on. Users have the ultimate control over their systems and their information; "Palladium" does not entail any global requirements.

Hopfully that means- you can turn the bloody thing off!

Linux Guru
    I must say that I accept that the TCPA, Fritz and palladium all exist, as long as they exist as opt-in components. I don't think I'll ever really respect it, but I'll accept it, since I think that every man must be allowed is he/she wants. So if intel and microsoft want to manufacture these things, who am I to stop them?
    However, the fact that people are actually suggesting laws (at least in the U.S., I hope they'll never strike over here), is really worrying. I hear that this new "Disney-founded" Hollings bill is actually suggesting that every single digital equipment (including portable CD players and everything) _must_ have one of these Fritz (I wonder if could have something with Fritz Hollings to do...) chips in them. I really can't understand how someone could even consider submitting such a bill.
    And on top of all that, the D.M.C.A. is already to close as un-constitutional as it gets (I think it was something that all these DeCSS-like programs are allowed, since that's enforced by the consitution, but that the D.M.C.A. makes it unlawful to distribute them... Judge for yourselves if that's constitutional or not...)
    I don't know if you've read Stallman's "Right to Read" novel, but he truly appears to have been before his time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast