Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I am trying to use gtar to create incremental backups. When createing the tar file I use the -g option. The problem I have is the restore part. When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Incremental Backup and Restore using gtar

Hello

I am trying to use gtar to create incremental backups. When createing the tar file I use the -g option. The problem I have is the restore part. When I do a restore I don't get files restored in their orig. dir. structure I get dir.s with numbers. The data is there its just in dir.s with numbers. Such as:

top_dir/filename
    will restore as
    103397785/top_dir/filename

What am I doing wrong? I don't want the numbered dirs.

Help

Thank you
    thllgo

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Why use gtar? I'd use find and cpio, with an option of compressing the final archive if space is a concern (but then maybe I'm just old-fashioned). find can be used to find files which have changed since a specific time so you can select what will be archived. man find for more details than you need. :o

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the note. I finally found the problem, it was a known bug in version of 1.13. I upgraded to 1.15 yesterday and no more problem. My largest concern was time when doing a full backup because of the amount of data we have. Surprisingly gtar is the fastest by far of all the options we tried.

Thank you
    thllgo