Find the answer to your Linux question:
In my college we are trying to implement the HDLC protocol for our indian satellite project. According to me as it is a data link layer protocol we should program ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Data Link protocol ................

In my college we are trying to implement the HDLC protocol for our indian satellite project. According to me as it is a data link layer protocol we should program down the layer that is creating the raw sockets at data link level ( we should not be doing in the application level as we normally do ). then constructing IP and transport headers. so that if an application sends a file to this raw socket the IP and Transport headers and crc or checksum are added. This does not pass thru the actual TCP/IP stack present in the kernel. In the receiving end the same thing happens i.e our HDLC design recieves the packet and verifies checksum or crc . if error then rejected without passing the packet to the actual TCP/IP software which happens normally for all packets.

Am i right or wrong ???. If anyone has an idea guide me about this. how to design our own datalink layer software such as HDLC.

Linux Guru
    Why do you want to bypass the normal IP stack? When there is a more than excellent IP stack already, why write your own one instead? I say implement for as what it is: a link layer protocol, ie. add code that does about the same thing as the existing ethernet code, only for DHLC insetad.