Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Anyone do this? I decided to try it awhile ago on my Athlon 2000+. The difference was amazing. It was so much faster than before, and even the boot time ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Recompiling your kernel for your processor?

Anyone do this?

I decided to try it awhile ago on my Athlon 2000+. The difference was amazing. It was so much faster than before, and even the boot time lessened. So now, everytime I install linux, the first thing I do is recompile the kernel for the specific computers processor. Anyone else do this?
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...

i have never done this but if it really makes a difference i think i mite have to try it on my laptop.

ps how long did you take you to recompile
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

It took me about 25-35 minutes, but I'm running a fast cpu. it should take that long, but building the modules and installing them can take a little bit.

25 minutes? Do you have a precompiled gcc or have you compiled it self?

Linux Newbie
    how could one go about doing this if they were interested in trying it out? cause with my processor being a "mere" 733mhz, anyway to seemingly make it run smoother and faster would be ... well ... excellent.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

That is long it takes my xp2200+ about 2 minutes to compile a kernel but i strip mine right down so that would make it faster. Still seems long.

interesting. Here's the commands I did:

Code:
    cd [location of kernel source]
    make menuconfig
    make dep
    make clean
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install
    it took me about 30 minutes for all of those commands to be done.

the make menuconfig takes you to a menu configuration of the kernel where you can select your CPU. I also turned of some other stuff. (like support for NON-IDE/NON-SCSI cdrom drives)

after that I rebooted and in lilo there was a new option called kernel-cutsom or something like that.

You really shouldnt use the "make clean" because it deletes the compiled source stuff, so when you are going to recompile your kernel with the same kernel source, it will be as if you where compiling it all over again, instead of just compiling the new stuff. If you skip "make clean" I'm shure a kernel compile takes < 5 minutes. No reason to waste resources

Probably bad explained, but I hope you guys got my point

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriss
    You really shouldnt use the "make clean" because it deletes the compiled source stuff, so when you are going to recompile your kernel with the same kernel source, it will be as if you where compiling it all over again, instead of just compiling the new stuff. If you skip "make clean" I'm shure a kernel compile takes < 5 minutes. No reason to waste resources

Probably bad explained, but I hope you guys got my point
    IMO it is always good to do a make clean on any source/program, as it clears out redundant crap, and anything left behind from a "bad" "make".

/my USD0.02

Yeah...I agree with J. You never know what COULD go wrong when you don't use make clean. It's a minimal resource hit for a better chance at everything working correctly. BTW it takes me about 15m to compile a kernel on my Athlon XP2000+
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast