Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
FreeBSD has some data that you can interact with using sysctl that is almost like a registry of sorts (values relate to some kernel settings). GNOME also has a registry ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

FreeBSD has some data that you can interact with using sysctl that is almost like a registry of sorts (values relate to some kernel settings). GNOME also has a registry type thing, and you can interact with that using gconf-editor. Also, there are environment variables, which are comparable. All of this data is stored somewhere in a config file, but then again isn't the Windows registry also stored to a file?

The Windoze registry has always baffled me, and i've never really had much luck using regedit, beyond the basics. The scary thing is, i've seen books as thick as Bill Gate's glasses on the registry _alone_!!! Understanding the Windows registry is definately the key to understanding the O/S.
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Linux Newbie
    The Windows registry is a confusing, cluttered, disorganised mess. I'm reasonably at home with fiddling with it, and it's still confusing as hell. Not a good way of doing things, give me /etc or give me death

Any of you guys ever heard of the elektra project? It's basically a registry project for linux, it's hosted over on sourceforge. I'm interested, but I don't know if I approve - I'd hate to see an eggs/basket situation like in Windows. Though some more standard housing for info would be good - think freedesktop.org are doing something for that too though.

Linux Engineer
    No I haven't... What info is it supposed to store? Hopefully not kernel options and such... I like the config-file setup ...

I'm not interested in a Linux equivalent of a registry. It adds overhead and probably complicate things. There is nothing wrong with well commented config-text files in /etc. Most software comes with these commented example configfiles and it works for me. Doesn't SuSE come with some kind of centralized config ?
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux Newbie
    At least Elektra registry uses a plain-text format, which is easier to edit than the Windows registry. The Windows registry is harder to edit, because it uses a binary format.

As said dont put all you eggs in one basket if you break the windows registry you break the whole system if you screw one config you generaly break just that system.

Yep, it could only lead to bad things. In the early days of elektra there wasn't certainty but I think it's gonna be plain text alright. /etc is fine if you ask me - andthe freedesktop.org setup should be good for standardising where app info sits. When I started with linux I thought text configuration was kinda primitive but it just goes to show that if it works, why change it. I would guess that windows registry is responsible for about 90% of all bluescreens. There are more important issues like standardising across distros.

I tell you something though - rpm and deb are often criticised by new linux converts as being not easy enough to use. But the thing is MS are making .msi the installer standard so there easier to manage like rpm/deb. They're pushing it into a more standard package all the time, and one that can be managed remotely or in command line. I'm really starting to think that longhorn is gonna be far closer to *nix than any other windows. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if it turned around and lost drive letters. A mate got a longhorn beta, must have a scan.

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    ... When I started with linux I thought text configuration was kinda primitive ...
    The whole concept of UNIX is kinda primitive, that's why it works so well. It's split into a number of small things that each do one thing well. Just add them together to do the complicated stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast