Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hey im building my own computer and i realized.... i have no idea whats going on... so far this is what im looking at: ALL FROM NEWEGG EPoX EP-8KDA3J Socket ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

help building a compy?

hey im building my own computer and i realized.... i have no idea whats going on... so far this is what im looking at:

ALL FROM NEWEGG

EPoX EP-8KDA3J Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail:
    $68.99

WITH THE AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Newcastle Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor - OEM ($178.00)

MASSCOOL WhisperRock II 5F263B1M3G 80mm Ball Cooling Fan - Retail:
    $9.99

ASPIRE X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-BK/420 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail:
    $50.00

MSI NX6600GT-TD128E Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail:
    $178.00

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380011A 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
    $54.00 ($108.00 for 2)

NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - OEM:
    $49.00 ($98.00 for 2)

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail:
    $77.00
    __________________________________________________ ____
    >>>NOTE PRICE NOT WITH SHIPPING<<<
    TOTAL: $660.99 (with 1 HD and 1 DVDR)
    __________________________________________________ ____

but i dont know what i really should be getting or if i'll have to sodder, etc. So it would be nice for any suggestions on whats good and whats crap

What im going to do is its gonna be my gaming refuge but probably 2 hard drives, one Linux and one micro$oft 2000 pro or somthing!

email me if you can help me out / find somthing good plz!

oz
    forum.guy
    Those components should produce a nice PC. You might want to look on the web for reviews on each of the parts you intend to buy so you'll know about any potential pitfalls.

As for actually building the PC, there are step-by-step procedures for building them posted all over the web. Just do a google search and you'll find plenty of links. You might want to print out a couple guides like this so you'll have them if you get stuck.

No, you shouldn't have to do any soldering.

Linux Newbie
    If you have a little more extra cash then I would suggest a socket 940 motherboard and processor and getting SATA hard drives rather than IDE and you should get extra performance, but obviously if that is more than you require that you have the making of a fine PC there.

Only one rather big problem, you wont be able to plug your graphics card in. I have just checked. You can either get a different motherboard that has SLI on it, or downgrade your graphics card to an AGP one.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

If you have a little more extra cash then I would suggest a socket 940 motherboard and processor and getting SATA hard drives rather than IDE and you should get extra performance, but obviously if that is more than you require that you have the making of a fine PC there.

Only one rather big problem, you wont be able to plug your graphics card in. I have just checked. You can either get a different motherboard that has SLI on it, or downgrade your graphics card to an AGP one.
    agian i have no idea, whats SATA? and whats the difference between that and IDE?

also thanks for the warning bout the grafx card!

SATA is faster than IDE, and they look totally different.
    IDE has the 40 pin cable with the wide plug-in.
    SATA has one wire with a small pllug-in.
    Here is a pic of the SATA cable
    http://www.atechfabrication.com/imag...Cable_data.jpg

Make sure that your mobo supports this
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    Why on earth should you recommend him a S940 motherboard? That's for Opterons and early FX'es... He needs a S939 motherboard. That way his cpu will also benefit from the 2x RAM he's planning to buy - S939 has dual channel support, S754 hasn't.
    Anyway, Asrock has a S939 motherboard that supports AGP and PCI-E, but it's a budget brand, and I don't know anything about the performance.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

wow.....uh....yeah.....

really i have no idea what your talking about but are you talking about somthing like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135175

with a processor like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103499

and a videocard like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150078

i guess thats what you guys suggested? anyways any other really cheap places to buy hardware besides newegg?

Linux Engineer
    I suppose you live in the US, no? Anyway, i'm Belgian, so I don't know Jack about good stores over there...
    S939, S940 and S754 designate the amount of pins on the back of the processor package (the actual cpu is as big as a fingertip, it's the package that's that big, along with the metal heatspreader on top of it). So S939 has 939 pins. It is the most recent Athlon 64 socket (another one for dual core is about to be introduced, don't ask me its name). Dual channel (theoretically) doubles the throughput of your RAM - doubling your bandwidth. The S754 doesn't have that feature.
    Something else: from the Athlon 64 on AMD doesn't use a FSB anymore - the 1 Ghz those ignorants on newegg are talking about is the speed of the connection between the cpu and the RAM (or maybe also the rest of the system, also). But the cpu itself has no FSB anymore.

Linux Newbie
    Excuse my mistake with the socket 939/940 socket, I basically call them the same thing interchangably which is not really good practice, note taken.

Those new things chosen should make a pretty sweet system. Also check out www.ebuyer.com , they have both a UK and US store and I have found them to be very good value, see if you can find those same products on their for a better price.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Linux Engineer
    Wasn't meant to be offensive, my remark... But it seemed a bit strange to me to recommend a server/high end motherboard to a regular user .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast