Find the answer to your Linux question:
what is new? Ok, I need only the first CD image, right? How many images i need for a full install? some of them are source codes, right? I dun ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

anyone tired that new Debian Sarge build?

what is new?

Ok, I need only the first CD image, right? How many images i need for a full install? some of them are source codes, right? I dun need source codes.

regards
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Just Joined!
    i tried sarge and sid in the past, and despite of being announced as "beta" and "unstable", there are more stable than mandrake or redhat lol
    so you may try sid better, the packages are newer

if you are are using woody, no need to re-install, you can upgrade to sarge or sid just editing your /etc/sources.list and pointing to the correct sources. If not, you can find unofficial iso's for sid, or just download woody and then update.

Wahtsoever, you can do with one or two cd's to install the base, and then get the rest of packages from internet with apt-get. As you say, the last cd's are sources (i think the last two or three cd's)

More info here!!

Linux Engineer
    I have to say that Debian is the most stable system that I've used. Of course I've only used Red Hat prior to this but I bet even the testing and unstable versions sarge and sid are probably more stable than other distros. As for me, I'm still running Woody thanks to its security upgrades. Questions for the Debian users, is the testing version supported by the security team? When I visit the security page, they always have upgrades to Woody and Sid but I never see anything for Sarge. Eitherway, I think I'll upgrade to Sid when it goes under the testing phase. But the problem is, who knows how long it will take? The last update was in December 2002.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    no, security updates and sources only apply to the stable version (woody), but not on the sarge and sid releases.

btw, sid will be always sid.. it doesn't get stable never.. i mean a new package is included to sid, and after testing passes to sarge.. and when it is patched and considered to be secure and stable, it's merged in woody. That's the process for the updates, that's why woody uses old versions of software, and you have to use xchat 2.0.1 when 2.0.4 is available (example) :P

Linux Engineer
    So why is it that the new security updates in Sid (unstable) are always updated? When I visit the Debian Web site, it states that a certain revision was made to the software regarding the security and usually, there's always a newer version in Sid where the problem has been compromised. This tells me that the only release that is not even looked at is testing.
    The best things in life are free.