Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by psic There are many reasons why a linux install can be slow. Check which processes are running and stop those which you do not need (for instance, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    There are many reasons why a linux install can be slow. Check which processes are running and stop those which you do not need (for instance, on a laptop you probably will not need Cups started when you boot up, since you won't be doing much printing). Other ways of speeding up linux is to use a lighter GUI than KDE or Gnome (Xfce is my desktop environment of choice). Turning of any fancy things on your desktop will also help (things like weather plugins, network monitors, etc.). For best performance, install programs from source

As for the Tux Racer, make sure you have the proper drivers installed.
    I'm using Xfce too Hell of a difference compared to KDE! One question though: (I want to keep my wheather plugin and my cpu usage monitor anyway) how much performance increase will compiling from source give? I know you could squeeze out a lil' bit, but it's not that big of a difference, right?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Hey, thanks guys! After installing the nVIDIA driver Tux Racer is really fast and neat--not that I really want to play it, but it's nice seeing a penguin go so fast.

Anyhow, I've got a new problem now. The rightmost part of my screen is black, so about 10% of my screen is dark. How do I change that?

ok, i know this is going to sound like i am a complete retard, but what is compiling from source?
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey112
    ok, i know this is going to sound like i am a complete retard, but what is compiling from source?
    It's when you take the source code to a program and compile it to produce an executable program file.

Quote Originally Posted by deutsixfive
    Hey, thanks guys! After installing the nVIDIA driver Tux Racer is really fast and neat--not that I really want to play it
    Not want to play Tux Racer? wtf?

try
    Code:
    man cc
    for a description of the compiler

Here's a quick rundown:

Download the sources, extract, then:
    Code:
    ./configure
    make 
    make install
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

ahh ok i understand now. thanks.
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    One question though: (I want to keep my wheather plugin and my cpu usage monitor anyway) how much performance increase will compiling from source give? I know you could squeeze out a lil' bit, but it's not that big of a difference, right?
    That higly depends... The older the hardware, the greater performace-level you gain... But at the same time, the older the hardware, the longer compile-times

Linux Newbie
    It is kind of a toss up as to how much recompiling will really help you. On FreeBSD I used to do full rebuilds of the kernel and base systems in addition to building every package locally from ports, all with the proper tuning and optimizations for my architecture.

In BSD, the biggest performance gain I ever got was by building a custom kernel. I think that is where the biggest difference is, and I believe the same probably holds true for linux: a slimmed down kernel customized for your hardware will yield you better performance. However, I use the standard Fedora kernels, and my system seems plenty fast (could be because the kernel is very modularized). The only other thing I really noticed was that the self-built X server loaded a lot faster than the FreeBSD binary package.

I certainly think rebuilding stuff is worth the effort, even if it takes several hours on a slow system. I keep my computer turned on 24/7, and with all that CPU idle time, why not devote some of it towards making an easy investment that will, over time, pay for itself.

Even if compiling a certain program on your system doesn't offer a real performance gain, it does help remind us of the beauty of free open source, and I think we should be thankful for the priveledge of being able to build our software from source.

I really don't know how much you would profit from compiling xfce from source. Try it and see

As for compiling, I really like speed, so why not? I save so much time not having to run defragmenter, anti-virus apps, anti-spyware apps... in linux, I might as well use it I've also started to agree with RMS, I find apps which are not open-source quite annoying. Skype, for instance.

And seriously, not wanting to play Tux Racer? I agree with eatinglemur, that is just strange...
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Newbie
    I haven't read much of Stallman's philosphy, but I'm behind *free* open source software 100%. Lots of people view him as a crazy radical, but I think his points about free software being important to our society are very valid and the consequences very real.

I don't believe EVERY program needs to be free, but I think that everything that really matters should be (operating system, development tools, common and popular apps/utilities, etc). I tolerate closing source to things like games and entertainment programs, but we shouldn't let capitalist entities have control over the things we actually depend on to function.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast