Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a relative linux novice, i've been using it for about a year now, but i recently had a great idea that'll let me get rid of any windows machines ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up simple broadband routing network

I'm a relative linux novice, i've been using it for about a year now, but i recently had a great idea that'll let me get rid of any windows machines from my house, yey!
    I currently have ADSL broadband to connect to the net, but unfortunatly although the modem is linux compatable, it only works with red hat 7.2. So i've been using a windows 2k box to connect. BUT, here's my plan....:

The Internet --- Old Comp with RedHat 7.2 == simple 2 card/cross over cable network == New comp running Debian 3.0

Basically, i just need the RedHat machine to provide internet access over the network to the Debian machine (i may dual boot with windows 2k if i cant get FlashMX studio to work with WINE).
    How would I go about this? I was also thinking of setting up DCHP so i can plug the laptop in and share the connection aswell, but thats a side project.

Any help would be appreciated, I dont want a full tutorial (although if you happen to feel generous ) just point me in the right direction.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Linux Engineer
    Setting up a dhcp server would probably be easiest. Here is a few howtos that will help you:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/networking.html