Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently running Dynebolic live CD on my laptop & PC. At the moment I have no home net connection, am happy with how they work & the software ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nabbing software from Distro to another

I am currently running Dynebolic live CD on my laptop & PC. At the moment I have no home net connection, am happy with how they work & the software included. But I want to use a distro with increased security (i.e. Slackware 10.1) as no matter what I'm doing I'm most likely going to be downloading as well. Is it possible to copy the software included on Dynebolic onto my future Slackware box?

Directly copy it, no. But you should be able to get the same programs for Slackware. Though I think any distro can be secure, it just depends on how you configure it and use it. Slack does not necessarily have to be more secure than Dynebolic (after all, Dynebolic is based on Debian, isn't it?). It is much more secure than windows, for instance. This goes for probably all linux distros.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    My only worry is that Dynebolic can only be run as root & it is impossible to build extra accounts. But yes it is safer than windows, one of the many reasons I migrated to Linux.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I've just searched around the dynebolic web site, the wiki, the userguide, the mailing list archives, and I can't find anything on adding new users. Strange. Dynebolic's method of installing to disk is something new to me, and I'm not sure I understand it exactly. I think it shoud be possible to add a new user, try opening up a shell and using the adduser command (or useradd). Running a distro as root is never a good idea. If you really can't add a new user, I'd suggest just installing a distro and then adding all of the relevant applications which you use in dynebolic.

As for your choice of distro, slack is fine, but then, so are most other distros
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    You can also use SE (Security Enhanced) Linux to run with your favorite distro for added security - it was developed by the NSA.
    You can add it to an existing installation or compile it into your kernel.
    http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/

You may want to choose an OS that is Debian based if you like Dynabolic ... Debian also has the largest amount of packages available over any other Distro.

Just Joined!
    Dynebolic is good as it can automatically work with basically all hardware, which is the reason it has to be run in Root constantly. I like the desktop but I have some experience working with the Slackware interface.

Thanx for the help guys