Find the answer to your Linux question:
I some questions regarding DIGITAL CAMERA support in linux. I have a CanonA60 which I can interface to my dual boot computer into Win98 with no problem. The Canon bundled ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Digital camera support

I some questions regarding DIGITAL CAMERA support in linux.

I have a CanonA60 which I can interface to my dual boot computer into Win98 with no problem. The Canon bundled software has a browser utility (zoombrowser) to view, download pictures from camera to computer. I want to do the same with Linux. This usage is important to me since it allows me to archive my family pictures. Win98 works well with my digital camera for now but I would like configure my Linux partition OS (Mandrake10.0 and Ubuntu) to do the same.

What utilities exist in Linux to
    1-Download pictures from a digital camera?
    2-Allow any digital video camera to be used as a webcam to use in an instant messenger program like GAIM?
    3-Transparently access the camera's functions into GIMP.?

any help would appreciated

scm
    Linux Engineer
    In KDE, Start->Graphics->Digital Camera Tool will allow downloads.

Can't help with your other questions, sorry.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks, but I don't find that feature in KDE 3.2. Which version KDE are you using?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    scm
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalani
    Thanks, but I don't find that feature in KDE 3.2. Which version KDE are you using?
    I'm using 3.2. Have you installed the gtkam package?

Linux Newbie
    thanks; I'll check via console, because I sure did not see it in the menu selections.

Linux Engineer
    you can mount allmost all cameras as mass storage devices allowing the storage and retrieval of images with standard filesystem tools such as cp,ls,mv etc. Most cameras do not support other functions such as webcam etc under linux (afaik) but there are some _webcams_ that are supported.

Linux Newbie
    you can mount allmost all cameras as mass storage devices allowing the storage and retrieval of images with standard filesystem tools such as cp,ls,mv etc.
    I use mandrake 10.0 and there is no automatic usb detection when the camera is connected via usb. I know I would have edit the fstab file and play around with console commands so that linux detects the camera and lets me use a gui browser (eg. kde konq) to read/write files to and from my camera's SD card. But I don't have the time to do this..if anyone could post the code to cut and paste into console or a better way let me know..thanks

Zoombrowser works fine in the codeweavers port of wine (crossover office)
    I think Canons digital Photo Profesional too and of course photoshop 7 if you have it.

I use digikam , which is a graphical front end for gphoto2 I believe,

The Canon A60 is supported, I have a 10D

I don't think autodetection of the camera by the usb system is required,

(all the subfs auto mount just confuses the poor thing) in fact untill I get round to excluding it from the hotplug I have to mak esure digikam is running before connection the camera )

for RAW conversion either dcraw from Dave coffin for commandline,

and the the ufraw plugin for the GIMP,

I set up my monitor gamma with 'monica'
    Registerd Linux user #119296

Linux Newbie
    I use digikam. It works very well with my Olympus C-8080. Its operation is very similar to Camedia Pro that came with the camera for use in Windows.

After the USB interface is connected, I turn the camera on in the review pictures mode. I then load digikam by selecting it icon/description in the KDE graphic menu item.

On the top menu bar there is a camera option. Select that, you will have to add your camera under this menu the first time. After that you will be able to just select your camera. A new window will pop up. Depending on the number and size of the pictures in your camera memory it make take a minute or two to load. You will then have a window with a thumbnail display of all of your pictures. You can download to an album either selected pictures or the entire batch.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940