Find the answer to your Linux question:
http://www.sun.com/2003-0805/feature/index.html Doesn't look to bad. I don't see anything special though...looks kinda like gnome with a different theme...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mad Hatter Screenshots

http://www.sun.com/2003-0805/feature/index.html

Doesn't look to bad. I don't see anything special though...looks kinda like gnome with a different theme
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I agree with nothing special, but I thought of KDE rather than Gnome when I saw it. Yet still comes down to nothing special.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

i like it it seems quite smooth but then again it does look alot like KDE so they havent made it any better( well from what you can see in a screenshot anyway) then KDE.

edit: question about mad hatter that i couldnt find. when is it goin to be available and im guess it will be but is it goin to be free ? does anyone know thanks

edit: you know what the more i look at the screen shots the more the similarities to windows start to pop out at you. like "This Computer = My computer" "Documents = My Documents" "Network Places = My Network Places" and then in the menu they have it look like windows as well with the favorites and applications.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

I'm looking for that stuff...'cause the way they say it mad hatter is jsut the desktop environment, but what is the linux they're going to run it on be like? I'll keep looking...

It looks interesting.. Is there a version avalible out there for people to try?

Don't think they're released any test versions. Now I'm really curios though, because if you read through the thing at one point it says "Project Mad Hatter will offer a new but familiar desktop operating platform based on Linux." the little "based on linux thing is interesting. But that answers my question, I guess they're making a whole os, not just the desktop...

serious i thought it was jst a new desktop enviroment. i will have to look into this some more mabye during break or this weekend i will have time.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

It definately looks like they're aiming at the windows-using crowd with the interface. Perhaps, since it seems to be a whole OS and not a DE, they'll have an EZ installation? This could be a big step on the way to linux desktop domination.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

this article is pretty good it says that

Like StarOffice, Mad Hatter will include a third-party Linux GUI such as GNOME, the Mozilla browser, Sun's StarOffice suite, the Evolution e-mail server, the GAIM messaging client and Java, and it will be priced "80% to 90% less expensive than [Microsoft]?
    http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/comp...1006.asp?O=SLF

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/...dhatter_1.html
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

so is that gnome in the screenshot? by the look of the system clock I think it is...