Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Okay... for anyone having this problem.... Turn off plug-n-play in BIOS if your ethernet seems to not be working... It's really that damned simple... It only took me three damned ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Okay...
    for anyone having this problem....

Turn off plug-n-play in BIOS if your ethernet seems to not be working... It's really that damned simple... It only took me three damned days.

Linux Guru
    Do you mean that P-n-P BIOS even echoes in the NICs? Thank you for that information.

I believe that Linux 2.6 will have support for P-n-P BIOS, but I'm not sure.

Just Joined!
    I don't know what "echoe" means, but, I went into bios, turned off PnP, and then my net was up. Didn't even have to configure the friggin' thing...

Now, I use Linux exclusively, but my folks use WinXP... Do I have to turn PnP back on every time I boot back into winXP, or does it take care of that for me?

Linux Guru
    I don't think that XP "needs" P-n-P BIOS. It just provides some extra functionality for some special types of computers. For example, if you have a laptop, it can notify the O/S when you insert the computer into or remove it from the docking station. I don't think that it does very much more than such simple things, but I don't know for sure.
    I guess the best way to find out is to try to start it without it, right? It won't ruin anything at least.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2