Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Okay...
    for anyone having this problem....

Turn off plug-n-play in BIOS if your ethernet seems to not be working... It's really that damned simple... It only took me three damned days.

Linux Guru
    Do you mean that P-n-P BIOS even echoes in the NICs? Thank you for that information.

I believe that Linux 2.6 will have support for P-n-P BIOS, but I'm not sure.

I don't know what "echoe" means, but, I went into bios, turned off PnP, and then my net was up. Didn't even have to configure the friggin' thing...

Now, I use Linux exclusively, but my folks use WinXP... Do I have to turn PnP back on every time I boot back into winXP, or does it take care of that for me?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I don't think that XP "needs" P-n-P BIOS. It just provides some extra functionality for some special types of computers. For example, if you have a laptop, it can notify the O/S when you insert the computer into or remove it from the docking station. I don't think that it does very much more than such simple things, but I don't know for sure.
    I guess the best way to find out is to try to start it without it, right? It won't ruin anything at least.