Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a small problem that I am trying to find a solution to, basicly I have a gallery with about 5000 pics (coppermine) that works just fine, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

permisions

Hello,

I have a small problem that I am trying to find a solution to,
    basicly I have a gallery with about 5000 pics (coppermine) that works just fine, I have about 10 active users, they have accounts,
    first some background...
    os- Redhat Enterprise ES AS 3.0
    apache 2.whatever (dont' matter for this problem)
    newest Mysql (works like a charm)
    newest php (also works like a charm)
    VSFTPD is the default redhat ftpd and its running.
    the gallery is installed in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/cpgtest/
    in here there is a albums folder that has 777 permions. inside this albums folder is a batchadd folder. inside the batch add folder is the name of all of my users.

now what I have done is put a symbolic link in one of the users home directory (/home/username/) that points to /usr/local/apache2/blahbalh/albums/batchadd/username/
    this of course is also chmoded to 777 as its recursive and has to be 777.

the problem..
    when lets say testuser goes into the ftp, goes into his batchadd folder and created a new folder, it sets permision on this folder to 755 which is normal.
    is there a way to make this folder 777 automaticly?
    If the user created a folder anywhere else in his home directory I don't want it to 777 though.

second question...

in htdocs I have a folder lets say called test1
    I need to have all of my users (about 10 of them) have access to this folder. what is the best aproach to do this? they need write access so they can update/upload files to it, once again I willl create a symbolic link to this folder in each of there home directoreis but I don't want all my users on the server to have access to this folder only these 10 or so folks,

PS: this is a home server it is not commerical, its a group of friends that we have a project going)

thank you much

Luc

Just Joined!
    For your first question, and I'm sure there's a more eleagant solution, have you considered a simple script that traverses the directory and sets the permission masks to 777? Just run it as a cronjob, setting it to run every minute or so.

As far as the other question, I would add your 10 users to a new group, change the ownership of that folder to that group, then set the permissions to 770. Hopefully that will work.

Isn't there a setting in the ftp server config to say what permissions new files/folders have? I don't know if the umask does anything like that or not, but it appears that seeing this happens when ftp'd to the server, that it could be the case.

Is it possible to test whether that same testuser, just logging in to the server (maybe ssh or if it is your own, maybe you could just su to that testuser)?

I think there is something in your ftp config that is setting those 755 permissions...just a hunch.
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Just Joined!
    Hi guys,

thank you for the reply,

ya doing a group for question 2 would be ideal and I think that is what I am going to do, should be fairly simple and its stuff I have done in the past just not often.

as for the FTP I know in the config there is a way to do this but it will do this to EACH folder, now I Don't mind this to much as most of my users are these 10 guys but I have a user or 2 including myself that uses ftp to access other folders and to create new ones and I Don't want to have 777 on EVERY folder created within home folders, know what I meen?

I think settign a script to run each minute may just work. pain in the butt but it may work

thanks

Luc