Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I found this community by doing a search in Google and I've come here in hopes that someone here will be able to answer my question. I'd like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

regarding iSight drivers for Linux

Hey everyone,
    I found this community by doing a search in Google and I've come here in hopes that someone here will be able to answer my question. I'd like to know if anyone has heard anything about the possibility of iSight drivers comming out for any version of Linux. If anyone has any information regarding this I would be very appreciative if you could let me know. If not, a referral to another location (ie. community or website) where I could find an answer would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

Linux Guru
    Since this is an Apple device, I assume that it is a USB device, right? It might be possible that it uses a standardized USB protocol. If so, it is probably already supported. Are you using it on a Mac, or have you connected it to an IBM PC?
    Can you check the output of the following commands and post it here?
    Code:
    cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
    su -c "lsusb"

Just Joined!
    I'm currently on an PC, running Windows XP Home. I'm sorry, I should have been more clear with my previous post. Not only do I want to be able to use the iSight camera, but I would also like to be able to use it through Apple's iChat AV program, which integrates the camera into what amounts to version of AOL Instant Messenger with Macintosh aesthetics. So far, iChat is not compatible with Windows. Now, if iChat can run on Linux, possibly I can use the iSight camera (which I have not yet purchased) with iChat AV to do video chatting with remote users on their Macs with iSights. Does that make sense?

Let me also note that I am not Linux savvy at all. I've never used a Linux box, but I've always sort of wanted to get into it. I read that iPod drivers came out for Linux before they came out for PC, so that lead me to believe that the same might happed for iSight/iChat AV.

That being said, I am utterly clueless as to what I should do with that code.

edit- I forgot to mention that iSight is not USB. It's Firewire.

Linux Guru
    Oh, I thought you already had the software and hardware. Sorry, but then I can't help you; I don't have a camera like this. Actually, I don't even have any firewire hardware, so even if I had the camera, I couldn't try it.