Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just built a new 64 bit system, and let me state that I built it knowing the current drive limitations of 64bit. With that, I do need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tripple Booting

I have just built a new 64 bit system, and let me state that I built it knowing the current drive limitations of 64bit. With that, I do need to have a 32Bit version of Windows installed. I currently have Windows XP x64 installed on a 160 Gb SATA drive configured as Basic with no partitions. I also have in my system a 40Gb SATA and an 80Gb ATA/133. I Would like to keep the two OSes on different drives if at all possible. Third third drive is for data storage as well as possibly a Linux drive (I was considering using GRUB as my boot loader). I Have gotten everything to install, and I know how to configure GRUB (I think). Linux booted, Windows XP x64 did and 32bit didnt. (It is XP Pro for the 32bit by the way). The 32bit windows was installed on the 40Gb SATA configured as Basic.

I can do fresh installs of everything, my system is so new I would not loose anything that wouldnt be easily replaced.

Any further help in how I might expand to more OSes In the future (I would like to at some point try Gentoo for AMD64) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

By the way: Yes I would like to use linux exclusively, but there are just too many things that dont yet work under Linux, and I am not skilled enough with it yet to make the full switch anyway.

Do you mind posting your /boot/grub/grub.conf (or /boot/grub/menu.lst) so that we have a look at it?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

/boot/grub/grub.conf

Ok here it is. My bios is set up to boot drives in the following order:

80Gb PATA = linux
    160Gb SATA = Windows XPx64
    40Gb SATA = Windows XP Pro

Therefore, GRUB should see the drives as...

Linux = hd0
    Windows x64 = hd1
    WIndows Pro = hd2

Correct?

Having need of the computer it was on, I deleted everything other than Windows XPx64, but here it is as best I can remember....

default=3
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux v7.2
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4-7-10 ro root=/dev/hda2
    initrd /initrd-2.4-7-10.img

title Windows XP Proffesional (32Bit)
    rootnoverify (hd2,0)
    map (hd2,0) (hd0,0)
    map (hd0,0) (hd2,0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive
    boot

title Windows XP x64 (64Bit)
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    map (hd1,0) (hd0,0)
    map (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive
    boot

thats it.

I cant remember if the rootnoverify's came before the maps or not. I believe this is how it was. I suspect that there could be a problem there. The biggest problem I had I dont think was in the scripting of GRUB, as much as it was I was at first attempting to us XP Home, which apparently does not like Multibooting much. But even after I switched to Pro, it still doesnt work, or at least I presume not. If I disable all drives in my system other than the 32bit windows, it will not boot without using the cd to help it along. Perhaps if I the Pro install with no drives even connected to the board? Even though I disabled them in the bios, for some reason setup detected them (that scares me a bit), and saw that there was allready a windows XP installed (my 64bit). Could it be that it sees this and assumes that ntldr already exists and thus does not create a boot.inf file? Or possibly just doesnt boot because it thinks its not the master harddrive? I really dont quite know where to go next....I thought it was as simple as install everything on seperate drives and use the code above....

Thanks

I'm not very experienced in booting windows, but looking at Nerderello's Grub Tutorial he seems to have a windows stanza looking like this:
    title Windows 98 SE
    map (hd0) (hd2)
    map (hd2) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd2,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    but I'm not thinking that this is the problem. With my grub install I have a file in /boot/grub/ named device.map which lets me map devices, since I'm thinking grub is not seeing the drive, so it can't boot it, my /boot/grub/device.mop reads
    (hd0) /dev/hda
    (fd0) /dev/fd0
    so you might have to add your secand SATA drive to yours with
    (hd2) /dev/sdb
    I hope this works.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    I think GRUB is seeing the drive because it attempts to load, but windows is the one that refuses for whatever reason....