Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I m a new user for linux. I have redhat 8 installed. when i give the command "shutdown now" it get to astate where it closes all serices and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to Shout down my pc

Hi
    I m a new user for linux.
    I have redhat 8 installed.
    when i give the command "shutdown now" it get to astate where it closes all serices and prints a message "Power Down"
    then if i press the magic key Ctrl+Alt+Del then its restarts.
    For init 0 it is also the same case
    I m unable to shutdown my pc from linux..
    Please help me

Linux Engineer
    What do you want?? That the computer cuts the power when linux have successfully been shutdown??

And please dont cross-post!!
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Engineer
    the command is
    Code:
    shutdown -h now
    the -h makes it cut the power onc eit prints power down to screen. Provided ur bios can handle it.

not sur eif RH supports it but mdk also ahs a powerdown command which does effectively the same thing.

Also the pwoer down message means exactly the same as the big "its safe to pwoer off ur comp" screen in wondows. jsut press the power button once u see it.

Linux Guru
    Actually, the message "System halted" does the same as the "it's safe to power off ur comp" in Winbloze. The message "Power down" usually indicates that the kernel is calling to the APM BIOS to make the computer cut the power. If it doesn't work, it means that either your computer can't cut power to itself, the BIOS is non-standard and proprietary and we should all hate it, or the BIOS is buggy. If you compile your kernel yourself, it has workarounds for some such buggy BIOSes.

Just Joined!
    As Andutt states "What do you want ?". Once "Power Down" appears on the monitor, all you have to do is press the power switch to switch it off!! .Quite simple really!!

Linux Guru
    Certainly not as comfortable as only having to give the command, though.

Linux Engineer
    The message "Power down" usually indicates that the kernel is calling to the APM BIOS to make the computer cut the power
    ok, i had a hard power button on that comp so it wasnt actualyl the bios's fault.

Just Joined!
    Couldn't agree more Dolda, but aren't we becoming very lazy and expecting machines to do everything for us. Reminds me of the old cadbury's smash advert on tv!!

Linux Guru
    Well, after all, isn't that the point of having machines? In my mind, machines are for releaving us of the tasks that can be automated, letting humans concentrate on thinking. Of course, we should be able to fall back on doing it, should the machines break, but that's no excuse for not letting the machines do it at all.
    Also, I find it very annoying when something that's supposed to work actually doesn't. Whether or not you actually need to functionality, that's a reason in itself to fix it.