Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
im having trouble finding any concrete random number algorithms on the web. does anyone have any links or even books to refer me? ive tried the library as well but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

random number algorithm

im having trouble finding any concrete random number algorithms on the web. does anyone have any links or even books to refer me?

ive tried the library as well but i cant seem to find anything...

Maybe this Google search might help? Also maybe you can use what the host OS has to offer?

Linux Newbie
    are you trying to find one, or make one?

Just Joined!
    There is no such bloody thing as a random number, but how about the Mersenne Twister?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth
    There is no such bloody thing as a random number, but how about the Mersenne Twister?
    what about a coin, die, spinner?

Just Joined!
    i am using CAD for VLSI and I need a random number generator in my design. The tools and the board that I am using do not include any random number generators and so i need to make one myself. I was looking on the web for some algorithms but have had trouble finding sites that properly explain themselves.

and morgoth, there may not be random numbers but as long as the numbers are equally distributed after simulation then I will be happy.

Once I find an algorithm that I can understand then I will attempt to implement it on the board and simulate.

thanks

Just Joined!
    @judhkqkhsd, have you looked at: Mersenne Twister

what about a coin, die, spinner? Smile
    Since the coin follows the laws of nature, the outcome can be predicted with 100% accuracy when all the variables are known, examples of these variables are air density, the distance to the ground, the weight and size of the coin, the used force, the spin, etc.
    These variables can never be measured with 100% accuracy though ("the act of observing disturbs the observed", as that very cool Dr Seuss-like rhyme on quantum mechanics went) so we can never predict the exact outcome, and therefor it is only "random" from our flawed point of view.

With computers however, everything is measurable, so everything can be determined with 100% accuracy, and therefor computers can never act randomly (until Bill Gates came along, after that they crashed randomly )

Just Joined!
    The maths involved in random number gerneration is rather involved. Would in not be possible for you to use another program (c++, matlab/octave ...) to generate the random numbers and then read them from a text file in your application?

Just Joined!
    i had thought of that but the number generator needs to be apart of the design (using the same data from the text file is not sufficient).

I guess i'll just keep looking.

Linux Newbie
    just to be sure, you are trying to write a piece of code for a persudo-random number generator? or are you trying to make a piece of hardware that does this?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast