Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I was looking into enlightment and saw that it was supposed to be a x window system, or a desktop. I was wondering if it was easy to use or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Enlightment

I was looking into enlightment and saw that it was supposed to be a x window system, or a desktop. I was wondering if it was easy to use or not and if it was highly configurable

It is a very nice WM (or is it a DE...?), the times I've used it it has been nice and easy to use, and from the time I used it I'd say it was easily configurable.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    I played with it some but didn't care for it because I like the not-so-flashy window managers like fluxbox, blackbox, etc.

It's easy to see why some like it, though, and it might be just what you are looking for... good luck with it!

Re: Enlightment

Quote Originally Posted by Dude500
    I was looking into enlightment and saw that it was supposed to be a x window system, or a desktop. I was wondering if it was easy to use or not and if it was highly configurable
    It is not an X Window System, it is a Window Manager that is slowly evolving into a full-fledged Desktop Environment. It is highly configurable, but newcomers to Linux are easily put off by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    (or is it a DE...?)
    Rasterman would kill you for saying otherwise :P

Linux Enthusiast
    I am not totally new to linux, I have played around with it for about a year, but maybe I should stick with gnome or KDE

I wasn't trying to imply that by saying that newcomers are often put off by it, I was just trying to give a thorough explanation :o

Linux User
    Well, you can very easily configure Enlightenment to not be so flashy by disabling FX settings. I also have mine configured for the right click menu to open the root menu, and alt-right click to open the settings menu, while a middle click opens the icons menu. I do this because I came into my own in Linux using Fluxbox, and because I can
    You can configure a good amount graphically and with windowing behavior in the GUI. I think there's an optional keyeditor available, but you can do even more in the actionclasses file in /usr/share/<varies with version>/configs
    So it's very highly configurable, but past a certain extent the curve gets quite high. Most of it's rather easy, though.

And I thought Raster preferred referring to it as a desktop shell, rather than a desktop environment?
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Enthusiast
    Well I'll give it a shot

Linux Newbie
    very nice and easy to use. Also very changable. I would use it but right now i dont think i want to get rid of GNOME.
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast