Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok i saw something about a package manager and how easy someting is to install, and reminded me of a question i have been meaning to post for awhile on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

package managing/installing

ok i saw something about a package manager and how easy someting is to install, and reminded me of a question i have been meaning to post for awhile on here. when in linux, i download a .gz file or an rpm or something, is there a distro/add-on so i can just double click the damn icon and install it? (yea, sounds like windows)
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

For RPM packages, if you're on SuSe YaST pops up, on RedHat the redhat-config-packages (or whatever it's called) pops up, and I think MDK has its own frontend.

but what about for tar gz files?
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

Nothing GUI, I don't think.

Just Joined!
    Along similar lines, where exactly does it install the RPM to? I'm trying to get DVDs to play in Linux and installed Xine from an RPM but can't find it.

Type
    Code:
    xine
    from a terminal.