Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have xp pro and redhat 8.0 running at the same time using vmware on redhat. I have my computers network with each other. My question is that the other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Not Able To Ping

I have xp pro and redhat 8.0 running at the same time using vmware on redhat. I have my computers network with each other.

My question is that the other comp with the ips 192.168.0.101 is not able to ping my linux box.

I check the tcp wrappers, iptables, and there all ok. I can ping my xp pro and my xp pro can ping my linux box.

the comp with 192.168.0.101 address is able to ping my xp pro comp but just not my linux box.

If anybody can help it will be greatly appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    If i understandit right you are booting up your computer with XP and are running Redhat under vmware on that box??

What network support did you configure in vmware?? To use the same ipadress as the xp-box or to use a virtual adress??

What does ifconfig says on the redhat installation??
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    Is it only pings that aren't working? Can the two computers communicate in other ways (like SSH or telnet, or if you try to connect to a port that isn't listening, do you get a RST packet back)? If you run ethereal or tcpdump on the RH system, can you receive packets from 192.168.0.101?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes im using xp as primariy os and running linux in vmware. I didnt really configure anything for the vmware ethernet adapters, my router is set to assign ip's automatic.

But my linux box address is 192.168.158.128 and when I type ipconfig in xp I get two vmnet adapters vmnet8 and vmnet1.

vmnet8 - 192.168.158.1
    vmnet1 - 192.168.30.1

No they cant talk using other services, but for some reason my xp pro and my linux box can talk to the 192.168.0.101 comp. I checked that comp if it has any firewalls or what not, but theres none.

Please help, and thank you for everything.

Linux Guru
    Are the computers on different subnets? Then isn't the problem just with the routes?

What are you saying, really? Can the Linux computer connect to the XP computer, but not the opposite? That's virtually impossible. Are you trying to resolve the Linux computer by name from the Windows computer?

Just Joined!
    Sorry about the explnations. So let me explain it again, I have two computers my main one which has two os xp pro and linux and a dummy computer which is running xp pro also and has the ip address 192.168.0.101

What Im trying to do is to let my dummy computer use my proxy server (squid) on my main computer, the problem is when I supply the address and the port on my dummy comp it wont browse, basically its not able to connect to the proxy which is my main comp.

From my main comp and at this time I have xp pro and linux running at the same time thx to vmware, and im able to ping my dummy comp, but when I go over to my dummy comp im not able to ping my main comp but able to ping other hosts.

Hope this helps

Linux Guru
    So you can ping the dummy comp from Linux, but not the opposite? That is really strange. Are you trying to ping by name or by IP address?

Just Joined!
    im pinging by ip how do you ping by address, cause I changed my hostname and it didnt recognize that.

Please help

Linux Guru
    Pinging by name won't make it any better; that's why I thought that you might have been doing that.

Anyway, can you start ethereal or tcpdump on the Linux system, and then see if it catches anything if you set the Windows system to ping it?

Linux Newbie
    Hey Wuzzup6,

you have two threads for the same thing here.

Please see my response in your other post at:

http://linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=3854

I'm sure that the only thing that is wrong is a subnet mask issue on the xp machine that your haveing issues with. But your only giving us a peace of the puzzel. When every you have a network connectivity issue it is best to post all of the relavent info.

At a minimum on each of the machines involved we need:

Ip address:
    Subnet Mask/Broadcast address: (same thing)
    Default gateway:

Thanks,
    PS: Its better to keep all info on one thread instead of opening mulitple threads for the same problem. Only doing yourself a disfavor when you do this.
    JB