Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
blissd1, I believe someone stated that you should just repartition using partionmagic and then reinstall Windows. Since I don't use Windows 98, I honestly don't know the way to getting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

blissd1,

I believe someone stated that you should just repartition using partionmagic and then reinstall Windows. Since I don't use Windows 98, I honestly don't know the way to getting it's bootloader back to the MBR but I do have a friend who is excellent with Windows. My suggestion is to reinstall Windows from scratch and just write over the Linux partition if you don't want it anymore. If you don't want to take this method, privately message me and I'll ask my friend who will probably know what he's doing. I'm very sorry that Suse has gotten to be such a disastrous task but Linux really is great. If you ever decide to come back, I'll do my best to help you out but be warned, there is a lot reading involved in Linux. Furthermore, things may or may not work when trying things so it's simple to get frustrated. However, once you do get it working, it's a great feeling.
    Again, let me know if you need the help in putting the Windows bootloader back into the MBR. As I'm looking at google, it seems like the answer maybe hard to find but nontheless, there will be away.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    Ah, sorry, since you don't want to lose all data, it would seem that the first case is the best. I'll send a private message once I talk to my friend. Since hotmail.com is having problems, it might be hard to reach him but either way, I'll use a different account and see if I can reach him.

Linux Newbie
    To all the "moderators" on this list that devote thier time freely to helping noobians and guru's alike. I must say that the little time that I have spent posting questions on this site has been very positive in all aspects. This doesn't mean that I haven't been extreemly frustrated at times with "my linux problems". But those are my problems and no one is responsible for them except me. You all make my linux experience worth dealing with.

You all go above and beyond the call of duty providing this service and I find it appauling when users take thier frustrations out on the very people that are trying to help them. I hardly see this myself, only every now and then. All in all, you guys Rock-On and keep up the awesome work. I and many of my friends appreciate it very much. I only wish I was rich and could reward you with money. Someday hopefully..

As a noobie I've found that even when I'm most frustrated and I don't seem to find the answer right away, or someone thats responding to a question I've asked has missunderstood that question. I just keep asking the same questions in a different way until I have some success or I let that person know that either that they have misinterpreted my post and I rephrase until I feel that were on the same sheet of music. If I have no idea what they are talking about then I let them know specifically what it is that I don't understand. Communication is the name of the game when dealing with support issues over the web.

As a newbie, one thing that I have done is joined up to allot of mailing lists and forums. Why not..its free and only seems like the smartest most logical thing to do when I'm new to linux and the linux community is freely availablel. I get allot of usefull answers for the same question posted.

All in all, I feel that the moderators on this site make me feel at ease and have shown that durning my times of frustration that I don't have to worry about being a noob and to ask as many questions as I like. This is what I was told by Dolda and Andutt at a time that I felt I was bothering the list with my noobness. I was told in such a kind way that not only did it make me feel at ease but boosted my moral at a time of extreme frustration.

So for noobs like me, please be kind during your times of frustration. The help is here. Thier are many people in the linux community including myself that will jump through hoops to help you in your times of frustration just to show you that things do work in linux and usually 100 times better and and 100 times more stable than MS will ever beeee..Instant gratifacation isn't really built into linux and this is why it's more stable and secure.

Sorry to be so long winded. Just needed to pledge my opinion and support for the job well done by all that contribute to this site and to the linux community as a whole.

On to da BASH now...
    JB

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks to you, bpark for being so friendly and understanding. Dolda 2000 could learn from your words. He is too worried about his ego, I guess. It's done, I had to wipe out my hard drive, but the Linux nightmare is over. $30 down the drain and a lot of wasted time. Hopefully, someone will come up with an OS for non-programmers to rival Windows, but, at this point, Linux is not that OS.

Blissd1

Linux Newbie
    Hey Blissd1,

I'm sorry to here that you had such troubles. I go through the same issues with linux.

Only a suggestion to a newbie from a newbie.

I have two computers. One that runs Linux and one that runs MS XP.

I found that the only way to cure my frustration in learning linux was to have both.

I run most of my games and do cd burning with XP and a host of other things that I haven't figured out how to do on linux. Growing up on MS, like most others out there, we are kindof spoiled in a sense that we are used to an OS that is Plug&Play and stuff seems to just work automatically. Linux it seems is just the oppisite. Very steep learning curve. MS is like an automatic transmission and Linux is a stick shift and then some. Takes allot of getting used too.

I found that when I want to learn how to do something on linux...e.g...(cd burning), that I focus souly on that linux task and no others until I get the info that I need to accomplish that task. I've found that I can receive allot of input by belonging to a host of mailing lists and forums such as this and posting the same questions to each list if need be.
    Doing things like this (have MS and Linux) have pretty much taken the major frustration factor out of linux because I'm not soley dependent upon it (linux) to accomplish the sometimes very simple things that I wish to do with it.
    I've found that no matter what the task is or how simple it may seem it never seems easy with linux and thats because I'm new to it. I have to have patients galore. Don't give up man. Like I said previously, people in the linux community have for the most part been where you have been and are willing to help you get through what ever it is that your goiing through because they've been there before. Instant gratification isn't in the Linux Genome as of yet. Hopefully soon though. Its actually come quite along way in last few years.

Good luck....
    JB

Linux Engineer
    Blisdd1,

1. Without Dolda2000, this forum would lose it's strength. I can honestly say that he's helped me with (and other people) with numerous amount of things. One thing about Dolda, he is very generous.

2. I've contacted my friend. Since hotmail was down all day yesterday, I was not able to contact him. I should have an answer for you very soon.

Linux Engineer
    From the Windows boot disk
    Code:
    A:\> fdisk /mbr

Linux Guru
    I feel that I must apologize to everyone for acting out like I did earlier. It has really been bothering me these past two days, and I feel that this is the only way to put my mind to peace.
    Admittedly, I do still think that that guy was more or less an ass, but that was really no excuse for me to be one myself. I don't want to make bad excuses, but if it means anything, I don't usually get angry in this way; I just snapped at that time.
    I don't ask blissd1 for forgiveness for yelling at him. I still feel that he needs some kind of realignment, but I should have handled it much more smoothly, so what I am apologizing for is my behaviour in defiling these otherwise peaceful forums like that. Please forgive me for that; I hope I didn't scare anyone.

Just Joined!

an eazier way

i dont know why you guys just dont reccomend knoppix.. this is a simple ISO file that when copied onto a CD will allow it to boot right into a linux enviroment(KDE to be exact) and from here you can run all sorts of thing and if you have a large amout of ram ramdisk can use this and you can play with some files and when your ready to take the big step just install linux on a partition(or if you dont belive in polyigiamy dump windows and just insatll linux -=]) but knoppix is great and i stand by red hat i havent really used anything else except for knoppix and redhat9 but whit theses two tools i have found linux to be most fun and enjoyable (eventhough fustrating at times,... but thats half the fun right?) well anyway just thought ide let ya all know where im at with linux and i hope one day can be a guru like all of you that have helped me so much and i want to see this forum grow this is the best forum i have foud by far

i love you guys, you are the best
    keep it real
    keep it linux
    fragment
    I00I0I

Linux User
    wth, i can't believe that guy!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast