Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I am a newbie to linux, less than a week and i totally wiped out windows...jus tjumped in head first and i have had my share of problems...lots of things ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A Note about Newbies and Linux

I am a newbie to linux, less than a week and i totally wiped out windows...jus tjumped in head first and i have had my share of problems...lots of things not working right away and just having to relearn how to do tasks which were automated on windows. For the most part, everyone has been extremely helpful, i mean extremely(thanks guys), yet a note to the "oldtimer" Linux guys. Big business does not care if you don't buy their product , they could care less if linuxGuru1087 continues to use photoshop and windows media player. The do, on the otherhand, care if Joe Public stops using their software. Software giants have said they will take linux seriously when it captures 10% of the market. So what does this long post mean? It's just something to think about when i ask stupid questions over and over again. Who's money does microjunk want, your's or mine!!

Signed,
    Newbies United!!!

Just Joined!
    I agree with you, for the most part, and I despise Microscum, but I have to go back to it. I got SuSe v8.2, because CNET said it was the easiest and most comprehensive setup. I do have everything working, Internet (obviously), music listening, Word processing, all works fine. My problem is burning CDs and I have been trying for over a week now to get K3b to allow me to burn CDs and all I get is error messages. I can burn them with no problem in Win 98 with Easy CD Creator, so I guess its time to consider my $30 a loss and return to a system that I, at least, can understand. People on this list have been very nice, but, apparently, this problem is insurmountable....and I do not recommend SuSE, their support is errogant and they even refused to help with installation issues, which will only put them out of business, in the end. No customer service is the REASON many people hate Microscum, and that is where SuSE is headed, I believe.
    Blissd1

Linux Guru
    You don't say? Other users have praised SuSE's support.

Why haven't you posted about your K3B problems? I'm sure we can work it out.

Just Joined!
    LOL That is really funny. I have posted the problems with K3b multiple times on here. A guy named bmxface has been trying to help me. Since I have installed and uninstalled it 7 times, always getting the same error message when I try to record (see below). I think its time to give up. SuSE lies, they told me they would send me instructions on how to get their garbage off my machine, and they haven't followed through on that, so I have no faith in them at all. It makes no sense to keep two operating systems on the same machine, simply because LINUX is not capable of burning CDs, when Easy CD Creator works fine for me in Win98. Even though I hate Microscum, I can't see where LINUX is any better, when they (SuSE) refuses to help with an install, by saying that K3b is not their product and they aren't responsible, when the product is AUTOMATICALLY loaded from their CD.

ERROR: Expecting only one toc-file.
    Cdrdao version 1.1.7 - (C) Andreas Mueller <andreas@daneb.de>
    SCSI interface library - (C) Joerg Schilling
    Paranoia DAE library - (C) Monty
    Check http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html#dt for current driver tables.
    Usage: /usr/bin/cdrdao write [options] toc-file
    options:
    --device <x,y,z> - sets SCSI device of CD-writer
    (default: 0,0,0)
    --driver <id> - force usage of specified driver
    --simulate - just perform a write simulation
    --speed <writing-speed> - selects writing speed
    --multi - session will not be not closed
    --overburn - allow to overburn a medium
    --eject - ejects cd after writing or simulation
    --swap - swap byte order of audio files
    --buffers # - sets fifo buffer size (min. 10)
    --reload - reload the disk if necessary for writing
    --force - force execution of operation
    -v # - sets verbose level
    -n - no pause before writing

Linux Guru
    Huh? I can't imagine that I've just missed those posts. In any case, have you tried to use cdrecord instead? Linux as very capable to burn CDs.

Linux Engineer
    Hmm, Suse is the distro that Linus uses at home. Like I said before, it's probably not the easiest distro to use.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    Dolda 2000:
    I don't know who you are, but you are amazing. You ask me to post (again) my problem which I did. and you reply with a totally worthless suggestion. I already have cdrao and cdrecord downloaded. They don't work independently, according to the documentation. THey are PART of K3b...man, no wonder people are so frustrated byt this list, no one reads what you right...or they assume that you have some idea of what you are talking about. I prefaced this whole mess with the statement that I know NOTHING about Linux. That is WHY I bought the SuSE version because it was recommended by CNET (to repeat myself) for the 20th time. If you can't make a suggestion that has steps to follow, how do you expect a 'newbie' to know how to follow it???!!
    This is totally amazing and a MUCH bigger pain in the ass, than Windows has ever been.
    I will re-format my hard drives to get this crap off of them and go back to Microscum. At least I know what I am dealing with, This is crap and it is just taking up valuable space.

Linux Engineer
    Well, I really just need to use it for uncompressing large files. I guess I'll stick to tar and gz for now. Thanks for the headsup.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    Blissd1:
    I really didn't want to lower myself to the level of writing this kind of reply, but if I didn't, you might actually get the idea that you're right, which would be infinitely worse.

First of all, I can't believe that I'm seeing this. How can you be doing this to people who are devoting their spare time to trying to help you? You are aware that this forum is driven by volunteers, right? If you behaved this way to SuSE's support, I can understand them perfectly well for being arrogant to you, even though they are corporate support.

You haven't posted about k3b, at least not publically. Here is a dynamically generated list of all posts by you:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/search.ph...author=blissd1
    There is only one post in there that can at all be interpreted as a request for help on k3b:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=21137#21137
    I was going to probe if you actually wanted help back then, but to me it seemed like you wanted to solve it on your own, so I decided not to. That actually isn't very uncommon here, that people want to try for themselves first and think a little instead of immediately turning to external assistance. I figured that had you actually wanted help, you would have posted a definitive question about it.

My so called "suggestion" was certainly not a worthless suggestion in that it wasn't even a suggestion to start with. It was a question, and it was as straightforward as they come: "Have you tried to use cdrecord instead?". There are tons and yet tons of material on and not on this site regarding the use of cdrecord, so I simply wanted to know if you had tried it; I deemed it likely since you had, in my eyes, earlier indicated that you were the kind who liked to experiment a bit on your own. Before I proceeded to the actual point of guiding you through the procedure, I wanted to know whether you had tried it or not. If you had tried it and knew at least a little how to operate it, it would be pointless for me to describe the entire procedure for you, and thus a waste of my time in order to write it, and of your time in order to read it. The reason that I stated that "Linux is very capable to burn CDs" was simply to reassure you that it is possible (I have done it myself, and I am certainly not alone), and is not the "insurmountable problem" that you earlier described it as.
    Related to the same issue: cdrecord is certainly not a part of k3b. K3b is simply a (seperately developed) graphical front-end to cdrdao and cdrecord. I don't know what documentation you read, but unless you misinterpreted it (which I deem not too unlikely, but I shan't say too much), it is incorrect. I guess I'll forgive you for that one, though, since you stated yourself that you are a newbie, and therefore I naturally cannot expect you to know the internals of Linux CD recording. Believe me, though, unless I explicitly state otherwise, I tend to know of what I am speaking.
    To explain my intentions a bit further here: Even though k3b might be a front-end to cdrecord, that does in no way mean that it is pointless to try cdrecord itself. First, k3b might be passing a bad option to cdrecord, making it malfunction. It is also possible to get more information out of the actual tool itself, in order to figure out why it isn't working the way it should.

If you really find Linux crap in this way, then do go back to Microsoft's fold and rot in the pit of Windows forever, for all I care.

And last, but certainly not least: Can you please find only one previous visitor here that has expressed any kind of frustration with this forum, as you seemed to state that there would be plenty of them. In my experience, there might have been one or two who came here with the very intention of being trolls, and as such, I can understand if they seemed frustrated, but luckily we don't get very many of your kind here.

I certainly hope that you read this, because it would be bad if only others did when I'm embarrassing myself by getting down to this level. I was just commending others for how well they had behaved in responding to your post in the "General" forum about uninstalling Linux.

Just Joined!
    Sir:

My frustration is based on the fact that you and others do not read what I have written over and over. How can I alter an MBR, when I don't even know what it is???? I need some instructions that a non-programmer could use to remove this from my system without losing all my data...period. I apologize if I offended you, but no one is helping me get rid of this. IF you can supply me with a resource that would explain this to somone other than a computer whiz, I PROMISE that I will not be back here ever again. I have already thrown the SuSE garbage CDs in the trash. I will return to Microscum which I understand and can work around. This stuff is impossible.

Thank you,
    Blissd1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast