Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ah, thanks.

yeah, a friend pointed the extended partitions to me and it ended up being a pretty easy solution (although i dont know why on earth you cant just have that many regular partitions).

in other news, i landed a gainer on my shins last night due to a goofy takeoff. >.<

Why?

In the old day drives were small - first hd i worked on was 5MB - I though it was endless ...

anyway - it was a long time until drives got large enough for partitions to make sense. But people were thinking ahead and as drive sizes started to crawl up the foot of the curve, some folks decided to look into how to partition those massive drives Soooooo in the wisdom of those who made the original partition tables they thought ..." 4 partitions is a lot! - and that way we only need 4 units of storage in our data structure to map those" - then ... They being *really* smart people - the kind you meet maybe once or twice in your life if you hang out in the right places - they said ..."well...There could come a time when drives will get really big - maybe even a Gigabyte! We should leave room for expansion!" - and that is what they did ...
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Alternatively, you can use NTFS or ext2.

If you use ext2, there's a read/write ext2 driver for NT/2K/XP here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd

or if you want to use NTFS, there's a read-only NTFS driver for Linux here:
    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

Obviously, you're better off with the ext2 FS since you can read/write from both OSes.

Good luck.

Pete

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close