Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm using Yahoo mail to send emails on Linux MDK 9.0. Some files that I attatch in my emails to people running MS-windows I would like to be able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Linux file cpmpression Utility that windows can read.

I'm using Yahoo mail to send emails on Linux MDK 9.0.

Some files that I attatch in my emails to people running MS-windows I would like to be able to compress and put a password on that file so that only that user can open the compressed file for viewing.

Winzip has this capability for MS windows and I was wondering if there was something similar in Linux that can do this and at the same time allow MS windows users to read that file from the linux machine?

Thanks,
    JB

Linux Guru
    There is the "zip" command. Use the -e switch to set a password.

Linux Engineer
    You can also use pgp to encrypt the attached files. I believe winzip supports gzip as well.

Linux Newbie
    I can use PGP to encrypt files sent through web port 80 mail?

I always thought that PGP was used for encypting SMTP email messages.

So PGP can be used to encrypt files that I attach to plain text port 80 mail messages?

Thanks,
    JB

Linux Guru
    PGP can encrypt anything, including files on your local hard drive.

Linux Newbie
    I've never used PGP before. Do you know of any good links for tutorials for beginners on how to get this installed and how to use it?

Thanks,
    JB

Linux Guru
    Use GPG (Gnu Privacy Guard). It prbably comes along with your distro. I found a tutorial on it once, but I can't for the life of me remember where. Try http://www.gnupg.org/.

Linux Newbie
    Hmmm...

Created a text file called test.zip

zip -e test.zip
    Enter password: (I input password)
    Verify password: (i input password again)
    zip warning: missing end signature--probably not a zip file (did you
    zip warning: remember to use binary mode when you transferred it?)

I don't understand the above.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure whats happening here?? So created another txt file called test.txt and die the following:

# zip -e test.text
    Enter password:
    Verify password:

zip error: Nothing to do! (test.text)

What am I doing wrong?

I've been told that I could use GnuPG to encrypt and sign. How would a MS windows machine react to receiving a file that has been encrypted and signed by GnuPG?

Sorry, somewhat new to this. All in all my biggest concern is that I have allot of private emails that are sent in clear text and I don't want to take the chance of anyone being able to view the files or messages that I send unless they are for the intended recipeint. I send allot of critical information sometimes and I'm worried about that info being read by the unintended party. Whether that happen to be on accident or on purpose.
    I hope that this make sense.

Any opinions on GnuPG?

Thanks,
    JB

Linux Guru
    You're supposed to call zip like this:
    Code:
    zip -e test.zip test.text
    Anyone who has PGP will be able to decrypt content encrypted by GnuPG.
    PGP or GPG is what you should really use to secure e-mail contents. Not only can it encrypt messages, but it can also sign them, making sure to the recipient that noone but you wrote the message and that it hasn't been altered after it was written.
    Zip files, on the other hand, weren't designed for security, and are thus pretty insecure. There are lots of password crackers for zip files out there. Content encrypted with GPG or PGP, on the other hand, is essentially impossible to break without the help of the combined power of all the world's supercomputers. It uses RSA or DSA, which are actually designed for this very purpose.

Linux Newbie
    Coo..

Thanks Dolda.

Is this the same GNUPG that your talking about?

http://webber.dewinter.com/gnupg_how...MiniHowto.html

It says right at the beginning though that it doesn't use RSA I believe.

Here's the qoute:
    " This documents explains how to use the GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG), an Open Source OpenPGP compatible encryption system To keep this program totally free the use of the RSA algorithm and other patented algorithm has been avoided."

On another note...so If I'm using web mail I can still sign and encypt email messages and files within the webmail?

Thanks,
    JB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast