Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got a problem... I formated all my HDDs and I was trying to instal linux on my desktop and everytime I try to instal ANY linux on my pc ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Strange error

I've got a problem... I formated all my HDDs and I was trying to instal linux on my desktop and everytime I try to instal ANY linux on my pc I get this error. PLZ help me I cant live with this micropenis thing on my pc.

PLZ help me cant live with this micropenis thing on my pc

Here's a similar thread, and I've picked out the relevant FAQs mentioned from it:

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/LILO_Error_Codes
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...ngle/LILO.html

Check that thread, and if it doesn't help, try the FAQs. If *that* doesn't help, post back here.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    If the Linux distro you're trying to install support the GRUB bootloader, you should use that instead of LILO. Then you're far less likely to run into such problems.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I've been talking to putal on the IRC, and it seems that he can boot live cd's but not install cds... which is rather strange. Whenever he tries to boot an install cd, he gets the above error, though when he boots normally he can get into xp.

Since he can bood live cd's I suggested he should try booting knoppix or simply mepis, and installing them from the live cd. I also suggested gentoo, whuch uses a live cd to install

I'm sure he'd like other suggestions...
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    I've been talking to putal on the IRC, and it seems that he can boot live cd's but not install cds... which is rather strange. Whenever he tries to boot an install cd, he gets the above error, though when he boots normally he can get into xp.
    Does he have a Dell? Dell likes to partition their drives with a tiny partition at the front that contains diagnostic tools and a bootloader. It's possible the distributions are installing the bootloader to the MBR and the PC is set up to boot from that little mini-partition instead. We had issues like that at my work.. just a thought.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Does he have a Dell? Dell likes to partition their drives with a tiny partition at the front that contains diagnostic tools and a bootloader. It's possible the distributions are installing the bootloader to the MBR and the PC is set up to boot from that little mini-partition instead. We had issues like that at my work.. just a thought.
    Yes he did have a Dell, and a mini partition
    Quote Originally Posted by IRC
    <putal> i just checked my hdd setup and i got some 150mb exended primary dell ****
    <putal> thats the second device
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

I wish I could give you a better solution, but what we ended up doing at work was wiping the drive, repartitioning (to get rid of that extra mini partition), then reinstalling both MS Windows and Linux. Dual-boot seemed to work after that.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

putal check the bios to see if the boot sector is locked in the bios if so unlock it and try again
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just wanted to comment that i've had that EXACT output (more than once) - it's a corrupted MBR.
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521