Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Alright, I've finally successfully installed linux...I think. The only problem now is that whenever I boot linux, it initiallizes alright but after that the screen goes blank. The little light ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Blank Screen after Initialization

Alright, I've finally successfully installed linux...I think. The only problem now is that whenever I boot linux, it initiallizes alright but after that the screen goes blank. The little light indicator on my monitor also starts to blink, indicating sleep mode. I'm not sure why it's doing this...I'm using the free version of the SuSE 9.2 linux. Should I use a different version? Or can I simiply fix this? I've installed it twice so far, and it's happened both times, so I'm starting to wonder if I should switch to a different version. Thank you again!

I just had this problem with a Windows computer.
    There were far to many programs loaded at startup.
    so there wasn't enough memory left to start the video card. A ATI card with 64 MB ram on it.

We had to go with a lesser video card, take out all the progs that were loading, then put the better video card back in.

This being a new install, I would check your ram and do you have a high end video card.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    hmmm...well, this is a computer I made for christmas, so I hope I didn't screw anything up. It's been working great so far, so I don't think that's the reason. With my memory, I have a gig, and my video card is a 256 MB geforce FX 5700...not the greatest, but it's ok I guess.

Do you have an onboard video slot that you can try?
    Or a lesser video card. The one I switched to had 4 MB ram.
    Just to see if it is the video card.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I have a really old one, but I'm not sure if it would work...I can try it I guess. I'll come back with results...thanks

Just Joined!
    ok, the older video card that I *do* have can't be supported by my mother board apparently, because I can't find any place to put it...nothing lines up. Could there be any other reason for why there's a blank screen?

I hope so.
    Before the windows computer where I had the problem, I had not even seen this issue before.

And now that I look at the amount of ram you have.
    I am clueless, I hope somebody else can come along who might have experience with this issue.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Hrmm, I'm not 100% sure but it could be to do with refresh rates.

Does the monitor work if you enter a command line with Ctrl+Alt+F1 ? or does it remain blank? If it works, login as root and run
    Code:
    sax2
    and pick a diferent monitor to the omne your've selected, but always remember to use the 'Test' feature on the new monitor untill you find one that works.

If you can't do the above, boot a live cd like knoppix, once you have booted (in knoppix anyway) there are icons on the desktop for each partition, one will be for your SuSE install, look in that one and go to /etc/X11/xorg.conf in there there will be a section like:
    HorizSync 31.5-50

VertRefresh 40-90
    make sure that both of these match up to the specs of the monitor, these values are usually printed on the back of the monitor. Now try and change them if they are different, you might have to right click on the SuSE partition icon on the desktop and make it writable beforhand though.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    mmm, cool, the ctrl+alt+f1 worked, but I have no idea what the code that you gave me was supposed to do. I was able to log in though the command line thing, though I have no idea what to do after.

Quote Originally Posted by rangersilme
    mmm, cool, the ctrl+alt+f1 worked, but I have no idea what the code that you gave me was supposed to do. I was able to log in though the command line thing, though I have no idea what to do after.
    By typing
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    sax2
    once you had logged in should start up sax2 X configuration utility, try to use that to try and find a monitor that works. If you can't find one that does, come back and say so and i'll try and explain how to do it manuly.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast