Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a major problems with my computer for a very long while. I gave up a while ago but I might as well give it another shot. The reason ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bad memory

I have a major problems with my computer for a very long while. I gave up a while ago but I might as well give it another shot. The reason why I started to use linux was because my computer started to break down because of corrupted memory. Windows would no longer work, I eventually couldn't even go through the installation. Eventually I got linux, found the best one(after trying 15+ different distros) which was knoppix and now kanotix. On the whole it works fine. I find problems when running a few very large programs such as games. I get random problems that no one seems to encounter and I'm clueless on how to fix it.

I did memtest and got a thousand errors and then the program stops searching for errors. It doesn't freeze it just stalls forever and won't cancel. I tried running memtest through linux and I got around to a 1000 errors one time(most of the time it just stops at 100, 400 etc) and its only on the second test out of 7. Then it stalls. I tried running it off a CD at startup but then it won't even start, saying that it has problems trying to test the ram. I tried using the BadKernal patch for debian but I don't see a difference, probably because it uses memtest to find the bad patches and I never was able to complete a test.

My question, is there a way to make my computer smoother and less problematic? I tried turning it to where I bought it since warranty covered it. They said that the cpu chip slot was slightly damaged and the ram was bad and they said they fixed both but I don't see a difference and still get the same problems(damn nerds not helping...) Should I try to give up on this computer and leave it how it is? Is there a way to fix this problem or go around it? The linux desktop works fine and I can run most programs and search the internet but still, the problems are pretty major and I can't get over them.

This is weird. If you have a ram problem, as suggested. It would be pretty hard to install Linux.

When they fixed your computer, did you see the old ram?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    When they fixed your computer, did you see the old ram?
    No, I only brought it to the store, I didn't pick it up. I'm sure that they didn't show the ram. They were suppose to bring the old ram for repair and replaced it with new ram(the same brand and stick as the old one) but I don't notice a difference. At first I thought it was the motherboard that was the main reason that was causing the problems and so did the people who "repaired" the computer. Later they figured it was the CPU slot specifically but I don't think they fixed anything nor is it the CPU slot.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close