Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: ¿Which kernel version do you use?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2.2.x

1 11.11%
  • 2.4.x

5 55.56%
  • 2.6.x

3 33.33%
  • I don't use a kernel!

0 0%
  • What's that kernel thing?

0 0%
  • kernel32.dll

0 0%
  • Another [specify in the comments)

0 0%
I installed the new beta kernel and it just rocks There are a lot of improvements since 2.4.x as kernel latency improvements, no need to emulate scsi (ide-scsi) to burn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Kernel 2.6.0-test4 and patches overview

I installed the new beta kernel and it just rocks
    There are a lot of improvements since 2.4.x as kernel latency improvements, no need to emulate scsi (ide-scsi) to burn cd's, alsa is getting integrated in the kernel, kernel compilation is easier, more usb support, better hotplug.. and so on.
    When you compile the new kernel, there's no need to "make dep" as usual, and the output formatting of "make bzImage" (or simply "make") has also changed. System now goes faster!

"Famous" Patches (for 2.6.0-test4):

bk4
    mm5

I usually use the mm patches, but bk are also good.. there are a lot of patches available (love, ck, ac, etc) but as for now they haven't released a 2.6.0-test4 patch.

Just try yourself and decide :P

P.D.: don't forget the usual disclaimer! (2.6.x kernel is beta and can damage your computer, we don't have any responsability, use at your own risk, and that stuff)

Linux Guru
    I would use 2.6, but right now I need nVidia's display drivers for the ability to use the TV-out on the card. And since they are only available for 2.4... well, there I am.

I just checked out the nv driver a bit closer, though, and it seems that it actually might have support for the TV-out. I'll have to check it out a bit closer. I really can't wait to get NFSv4 (among all the other things).

Linux User
    I actually got around to finishing compiling a 2.6.0-test4 kernel last night and so far I'm quite impressed. I've noticed it makes better use of my processor when compiling, so compiling something doesn't take up all my processor power and makes doing other things while compiling hastle free. From what I can tell they've added support for a LOT of new things, and I like the new menuconfig layout. I'm still fine tuning it, but I've noticed a speed increase for sure. I'm interested in the no need for scsi emulation, seeing as it's still an option. I'll be doing several more recompiles before it's done so I might take out support and see if what you're saying is true. What exactly do those patches do siddhartha?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Dolda2000, i also own a Nvidia GeForce4 card, and i have no problems with it in 2.6.x (you can find drivers and howto's on vidia's site and http://www.minion.de ).

SiezedPropaganda, the patches fix some kernel options to do some tunning on the kernel performance (latency, bootsplash, grsec, swap prefetching, supermount, and so on..). Every patchset focuses ona diferent kind of tunning, for example CK patches are patches designed to improve system responsiveness with emphasis on desktop pcs.. the maximum tunning you can get, but they could be kinda unstable. I said i use the MM patches, because they do some tunning but are stable. Don't be fooled, you won't feel like flying after aplying one of this patches.. but some of they have cool performance pacthes.

Linux Guru
    Are you serious? I was just assuming that nVidia's drivers wouldn't compile against 2.6. Are you actually saying that a proprietary driver already has an updated kernel interface?