Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
well, to do what andutt says you have to perform "emerge rsync" (with internet connection, so you can update the tree) before "emerge system", or you will be just recompiling ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

well, to do what andutt says you have to perform "emerge rsync" (with internet connection, so you can update the tree) before "emerge system", or you will be just recompiling your actual packages again

Linux User
    Mzzbizzsnatch, you should set up your fstab like this:

(I'm assuming you decided to do it the way they told you with the /boot partition and no /home)

/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 noauto,noatime 1 2
    /dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hda3 / reiserfs noatime 0 1
    /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0
    /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0

Note: the cdrom stuff might be different from yours, you might have to change that a bit.

As for the bootloader, you should use GRUB. It's far easier to set up than lilo and is less finicky. The Gentoo install GRUB section is well written, you should have any problems especially because you're following the guide exactly.

Linux Newbie
    Woops,

Sorry for not responding SiezedPropaganda..

I'm usually really good about responding. Good forum etiquette, especially to those (like yourself) that genuinelly give more than a helping hand.

I'm up and running now. Now I need to get a handle on the Portage thing..referring to my other post Here!!

Portage?
    Thanks,
    JB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2